Gospel of Thomas and the Farrer Theory

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2011
      As some of you may know, I am currently working on a book on the
      relationship between the Gospel of Thomas and the Synoptics. It
      occurs to me that I am not aware of a single piece of scholarship on
      the Gospel of Thomas that engages with the Farrer Theory. The only
      piece I am aware of that even mentions it is Stephen Patterson, “The
      Gospel of (Judas) Thomas and the Synoptic Problem” in P. Foster, A.
      Gregory, J. S. Kloppenborg and J. Verheyden (eds.), New Studies in the
      Synoptic Problem (BETL, 239; Leuven: Peeters, 2011), 783-808.
      Patterson gives the theory a footnote (p. 790, n. 34), which I think
      may be a sign of future hope. Is anyone aware of anything else?

      Thanks
      Mark

      Cross-posting to the Gospel of Thomas list and Synoptic-L.

      --
      Mark Goodacre
      Duke University

      http://www.markgoodacre.org
    • Jeff Peterson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2011
        The traffic sometimes runs in the other direction. In *Excavating Q*,
        Kloppenborg
        cites *Thomas a*s counting against FH, specifically against Farrer's
        statement that the sayings collection was an unattested genre among the
        early Christians (347 n. 35).

        Jeff Peterson
        Austin Graduate School of Theology
        Austin, Texas