Re: [Synoptic-L] FW: THE SOTERIOLOGY OF LUKE

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2011
      Dennis,

      This was a hot topic when I was in seminary.  Another book being read a lot then (i.e., assigned a lot then) was Jacob Jerville, Luke and the People of God.  Same line of thought.

      Among other things I remember from that book is that Luke begins the theme for the get-go.  Simon in the temple at Jesus' birth is described as "righteous and devout, looking forward to the consolation of Israel."  And in the next scene the prophet, Anna, "began to praise God and to speak about the child to *all who were looking for the redemption of Jerusalem.*"  Emphasis mine.

      Thanks,

      From:dgoffin@...

      To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com

      Subject: THE SOTERIOLOGY OF LUKE

      Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 12:46:37 +0100

      A serendipitous find I made in a second-hand bookshop the other day was "Luke and the Restoration of Israel" by David Ravens. The main burden of his book is that Luke never embraced the new covenant in the blood of Jesus, but regarded the old covenant as still valid. This is borne out by the fact that there are only two mentions of blood in the gospel of Luke and Acts. The first mention is in Luke 22:19 b - 20 where Wescott and Horst list this as a Western non-interpolation. It is one of the numerous places at the end of the gospel of Luke where Codex Bezae , the Old Latin, Codex Koridethi and the Old Syriac, usually suffixed by c and s, are representative of what has come to be known as the Western text and depart from the Textus Receptus, although Western is no longer apparently regarded as a geographical term, but is still used because of its entrenched place in the literature. To recap, the Western text in the fourth edition of Metzger and Ehrman's
      book "The Text of the New Testament" is regarded as of equal importance with Vaticanus and Sinaiticus as a first generation direct descendant of the original Autograph so the textual evidence for Luke 22:19b - 20 not being in the original autograph is reasonably solid.

      The other place where blood is mentioned in Luke/Acts is in Acts 20:28. The significant fact here in my opinion is that Luke is faithfully reporting Paul's speech and obviously knew that salvation by the blood of Christ was central to Paul's theology. The combined effect of both observations is to reinforce the very considerable difference of Luke's theology from that of Paul and to underline his own idiosyncratic approach to the death of Jesus.

      Dennis

      Dennis Goffin

      Chorleywood UK