Re: [Synoptic-L] forgiveness in Mark

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2006
      Dave Gentile wrote:

      > Mark 11 (NIV)
      >
      > 22"Have ... faith in God," Jesus answered. 23"I tell you
      > the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the
      > sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says
      > will happen, it will be done for him. 24Therefore I tell you, whatever
      > you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be
      > yours. 25And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against
      > anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your
      > sins." ...
      >
      > I seems to me that the message is "Have faith in God, forgive others,
      > and you'll be forgiven". That seems like Mark's idea of salvation to me.
      > Am I wrong? Is this something widely known, and I'm just reading the
      > wrong sources?

      Dave,

      The "Have faith in God" looks like Mark's formulation. He may have intended
      it as the lesson to be learnt from the fig tree story and the verses which
      follow.

      All the synoptic writers had a tendency to group together the sayings which
      they derived from the early sayings source. Mark derived verses 23, 24 and
      25 from sayings C17, A19 and C1 respectively (see my web site).

      Certainly Mark here emphasized faith by bringing together his story of the
      cursing of a fig tree together with adaptations of sayings C17 and A19. But
      if you want to see his idea of salvation you'd be better to focus on 10:45.

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 9, 2006
        Hi Ron,

        I just saw this.

        > Certainly Mark here emphasized faith by bringing together his
        story of the
        > cursing of a fig tree together with adaptations of sayings C17 and
        A19. But
        > if you want to see his idea of salvation you'd be better to focus
        on 10:45.

        I think I'm going to speculate that 10:45 originates in Matthew or a
        version of Mark that Matthew uses as a source, not in the original
        Mark. Luke does not have it, and I suspect Luke's copy of Mark did
        not have it either.

        Dave Gentile
        Riverside, IL