forgiveness in Mark

  • Gentile, David
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2006
      I have a question for the group regarding what the author of the gospel
      of Mark is trying to tell us. I'm sorry if this may be slightly off
      topic, but I think it is relevant since it goes to understanding the
      author's intent. I've heard some say that the gospel of Mark taught
      salvation by good works, or by following Jesus, or simply by "faith".
      The object of faith in Hebrew scriptures would have been God of course,
      and Mark has a unique reference to the object of faith here.

      Mark 11 (NIV)

      22"Have[f
      <http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2011&version=31#fen-NI
      V-24657f#fen-NIV-24657f> ] faith in God," Jesus answered. 23"I tell you
      the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the
      sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says
      will happen, it will be done for him. 24Therefore I tell you, whatever
      you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be
      yours. 25And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against
      anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your
      sins."[g
      <http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark%2011&version=31#fen-NI
      V-24660g#fen-NIV-24660g> ]

      I seems to me that the message is "Have faith in God, forgive others,
      and you'll be forgiven". That seems like Mark's idea of salvation to me.
      Am I wrong? Is this something widely known, and I'm just reading the
      wrong sources?

      Thank you,

      Dave Gentile

      Riverside IL

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 28, 2006
        Dave Gentile wrote:

        > Mark 11 (NIV)
        >
        > 22"Have ... faith in God," Jesus answered. 23"I tell you
        > the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the
        > sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says
        > will happen, it will be done for him. 24Therefore I tell you, whatever
        > you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be
        > yours. 25And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against
        > anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your
        > sins." ...
        >
        > I seems to me that the message is "Have faith in God, forgive others,
        > and you'll be forgiven". That seems like Mark's idea of salvation to me.
        > Am I wrong? Is this something widely known, and I'm just reading the
        > wrong sources?

        Dave,

        The "Have faith in God" looks like Mark's formulation. He may have intended
        it as the lesson to be learnt from the fig tree story and the verses which
        follow.

        All the synoptic writers had a tendency to group together the sayings which
        they derived from the early sayings source. Mark derived verses 23, 24 and
        25 from sayings C17, A19 and C1 respectively (see my web site).

        Certainly Mark here emphasized faith by bringing together his story of the
        cursing of a fig tree together with adaptations of sayings C17 and A19. But
        if you want to see his idea of salvation you'd be better to focus on 10:45.

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 9, 2006
          Hi Ron,

          I just saw this.

          > Certainly Mark here emphasized faith by bringing together his
          story of the
          > cursing of a fig tree together with adaptations of sayings C17 and
          A19. But
          > if you want to see his idea of salvation you'd be better to focus
          on 10:45.

          I think I'm going to speculate that 10:45 originates in Matthew or a
          version of Mark that Matthew uses as a source, not in the original
          Mark. Luke does not have it, and I suspect Luke's copy of Mark did
          not have it either.

          Dave Gentile
          Riverside, IL