Re: [Synoptic-L] NT Wright's Mark as "meta-apocalypse"?

  • Karel Hanhart
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2006
      Dear Brian,

      I've not read Wright's book. Alas, I have not the opportunity. However,
      taking your resume as a guideline, I think Wright is right in seeking to
      combine Greco-Roman culture and the tradition of the Hebrew Bible. Moreover,
      I also believe Mark wrote in the wake of the devastating Judean/Roman war.
      Being born and raised in Jerusalem the ruination of Jerusalem must have had
      a deep impact on his religious life and that of his compatriots in Rome. One
      cannot stress this fact enough, certainly if one takes the tradition of Mark
      being Peter's interpreter and also deeply influenced by Paul's letters (
      esp. the one written to Rome) seriously.

      I would differ with him in the way he evaluates the 'Judean' (=first century
      Jewish) character of his Gospel. It was meant for the liturgy of the
      ecclesia in that it offers a contemporary interpretation of Pesach for his
      Christian Judean and Gentile readers in Rome (or Alexandria) offering his
      co-believers hope for the future. The parousia was delayed for "first the
      gospel must be preached to all nations (13,10) and "he goes before you into
      the Galil ha-goyim (16,7)". In that respect I would not share the view
      that "Israel's "national history" that began at the Red Sea could be
      presumed complete (?!) from a Christian POV". Does not the word 'complete'
      have anti-Judaic implications, shared by the pre-WW II 'German-Christian'
      movement?
      The history of the Jews is over ?

      I believe, the link with Greco Roman culture is a different one. Any foreign
      person of that period learning Greek in the rhetorical school was also
      educated in Greek drama and the great drama's of Sophocles, Euripides etc
      were also shown in the theaters in the Hellenic world, also in Judea,
      Samaria and Galilee. No one, will deny the dramatic impact of the Gospel
      with is compelling plot. Hence the prologue in which the protagonists (the
      Baptist and Jesus, 1,1-15) are introduced and the epilogue (15,40 - 16,8) in
      which the future is opened: Jesus was raised from the dead; the future was
      secure as he was now seated at the right hand of God (14, 62). Mark chose
      the form of Greek drama, but in content it is concerned with the meaning of
      Pesach and Pentecost. The drama concerned the crucifixion of the Messiah
      and the turning of the tide for his people. However, Mark proclaimed not
      only the tragic side of these catastrophes, but also the assurance that
      God's purpose would prevail in the end.
      Wright has not recognized that Mark in the epilogue is clearly and
      emphatically citing LXX Isa 22,16 in 15,46 and LXX Gen 29, 2.3.10 in 15,46
      and 16,3.4. Did Wright discuss this in his book? If so I would like to know
      his comments on these citations. In other words did he take Mark's
      resurrection story seriously as a midrash on these OT passages?

      cordially

      Karel Hanhart

      k.hanhart@...