Re: [Synoptic-L] German Question re Storr 1786

  • Tony Buglass
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2006
      (I tried to send this last night, but it came back. Trying again...)

      According to my German dictionary, "die Grundlegung" is a foundation. To capture the picture, I'd translate "wobei Marcus zu Grund gelegt worden ist" as "for which Mark became the foundation."

      Cheers,
      Rev Tony Buglass
      Superintendent Minister
      Upper Calder Methodist Circuit

    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2006
        At 01:24 PM 1/11/2006 +0000, Tony Buglass wrote:
        >According to my German dictionary, "die Grundlegung" is a foundation. To capture the picture, I'd translate "wobei Marcus zu Grund gelegt worden ist" as "for which Mark became the foundation."

        Thanks to everyone for all your help. This is helpful.
        Offlist, Ed Tyler suggested "to take as a basis" or
        "to base [something] upon" from the modern idiom
        "zugrunde legen" which I found especially useful.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...