Re: [Synoptic-L] German Question re Storr 1786

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2006
      Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

      > "One of the two evangelists probably thus had the
      > other before himself, and we must regard either Mark's
      > writing as an excerpt from Luke, or Luke's history as
      > a lengthier work, for which Mark was made its base."
      >
      > My wife says that this is correct (and I had also
      > thought so but didn't trust my judgement despite my 6
      > years in Tuebingen).

      If it's any consolation that's how I rendered it too.

      Jim

      --
      Jim West
    • Tony Buglass
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2006
        (I tried to send this last night, but it came back. Trying again...)

        According to my German dictionary, "die Grundlegung" is a foundation. To capture the picture, I'd translate "wobei Marcus zu Grund gelegt worden ist" as "for which Mark became the foundation."

        Cheers,
        Rev Tony Buglass
        Superintendent Minister
        Upper Calder Methodist Circuit

      • Stephen C. Carlson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 11, 2006
          At 01:24 PM 1/11/2006 +0000, Tony Buglass wrote:
          >According to my German dictionary, "die Grundlegung" is a foundation. To capture the picture, I'd translate "wobei Marcus zu Grund gelegt worden ist" as "for which Mark became the foundation."

          Thanks to everyone for all your help. This is helpful.
          Offlist, Ed Tyler suggested "to take as a basis" or
          "to base [something] upon" from the modern idiom
          "zugrunde legen" which I found especially useful.

          Stephen Carlson
          --
          Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...