Abbott

  • Tim Lewis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2006
      "It is interesting to note that (as Dr. Abbott has shown) the fourth Gospel inserts or refers to every incident given in St. Mark which St. Luke has passed over."

      I came across the above on the online Catholic Encyclopedia
      http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11457c.htm

      To what work is this referring?

      Can someone tell me more?

      Tim.
      - - - - -
      Timothy M. Lewis
      Cranbourne, VIC 3977
      Part-time Greek Tutor at Whitley College,
      Melbourne College of Divinity, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2006
        Check the bibliography at the bottom of the article. I
        would assume that the scholar is:

        EDWIN ABBOTT, Notes on New Testament Criticism
        (London, 1906)

        Here's the full bibliography:

        The literature on Papias is of overwhelming quantity.
        Every introduction to the New Testament, every book on
        the Fourth Gospel mentions him. The best discussion in
        English is LIGHTFOOT'S Essays on Supernatural
        Religion, reprinted from the Contemporary Review
        (London, 1889); on the preface see especially ZAHN,
        Forschungen, VI (1900); on the two Johns, DRUMMOND,
        EZRA ABBOTT, CAMERLUNCH, and others on the Gospel of
        St. John; for the view that the Apostle was not at
        Ephesus but only the presbyter, HARNACK, Gesch. der
        altchr. Litt., II (1897), and (making the presbyter
        the beloved disciple) DELFF, Gesch d. Rabbi Jesus
        (Leipzig, 1889); IDEM, Das vierte Evang.
        wienderhergestellt; IDEM, Neue Beitrage zur Kritik und
        Erklarung des vierten Ev. (both at Husum, 1890);
        SANDAY, The Criticism of the Fourth Gospel (Oxford,
        1905); BOUSSET, Offenbarung d. Joh. (Leipzig, 1896);
        also ZAHN, loc. cit.; STANTON, The Gospels as Hist.
        Documents, I (1903); CHAPMAN, John the Presbyter
        (Oxford, 1911); on the supposed martyrdom of St. John,
        DE BOOR, Neue Fragmente des Papias in Texteu. Unters.,
        V, II (1888); DELEF, loc. cit; CHAPMAN, loc. cit;
        SCHWARTZ, Ueber den Tod der Sohne Zebedaei (infavour
        of the martyrdom, Berlin 1904); against are ARMITAGE
        ROBINSON, The Historical Character of St. John's
        Gospel (London, 1908); EDWIN ABBOTT, Notes on New
        Testament Criticism (London, 1906); for a general
        account of Papias, see BARDENHEWER, Gesch. der
        altkirchl. Litt., I (Freiburg, 1902), who gives
        sufficient references to older books and articles;
        more in RICHARDSON'S Synopisis (Buffalo, 1887). On St.
        John in Irenaeus, CHAPMAN, Papias on the Age of our
        Lord in Journal of Theol. Studies, IX (Oct., 1907),
        33; GUTJAHR, Die Glaubwurdigkeit des irenaischen
        Zeugnisses (Graz, 1904); LEWIS, The irenaeus testimony
        to the Fourth Gospel (Chicago, 1908); on the Chiliasm
        of Papias, ATZBERGER, Gesch. der christl. Eschatologie
        (Freiburg, 1896); GRY, Le millenarisme (Paris, 1904;
        New York, 1899).

        --- Tim Lewis <tim_lewis@...> wrote:

        > "It is interesting to note that (as Dr. Abbott has
        > shown) the fourth Gospel inserts or refers to every
        > incident given in St. Mark which St. Luke has passed
        > over."
        >
        > I came across the above on the online Catholic
        > Encyclopedia
        > http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11457c.htm
        >
        > To what work is this referring?
        >
        > Can someone tell me more?
        >
        > Tim.
        > - - - - -
        > Timothy M. Lewis
        > Cranbourne, VIC 3977
        > Part-time Greek Tutor at Whitley College,
        > Melbourne College of Divinity, Melbourne, Victoria,
        > Australia.
        > ----------

        University Degrees:

        Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley