Re: [Synoptic-L] Mark 14:28 & 16:7 (was: Resurrection appearances)

    Message 1 of 76 , Apr 3, 2011
      Ron,

      I'd like to propose an alternative motive for the inclusion of these verses. The oldest tradition we have about resurrection appearances, in I Cor., lists Peter first. Mk could be anticipating this (Galilean) appearance, along with the other appearance that followed Peter's in Galilee.

      It seems unlikely that these verses were inserted late, at least not after the appearance legends in Mt and Lk were circulated, since Mk's account contradicts theirs. There would have other ways to rehabilitate Peter than to simply mention his name in what is otherwise a prediction that the resurrection appearances will occur in Galilee.

      --- On Sun, 4/3/11, Ronald Price <ron-price@...> wrote:

      It seems I need to clarify the reasons why we should take 14:28 and 16:7 as

      interpolated into the text of Mark.

      Quite simply, these verses fulfil the following criteria for a blatant

      interpolation:

      1. The interpolated text does not make sense in its wider context

      2. Without the interpolation, the flow of the text in the immediate context

      is improved

      3. There is an obvious motivation for the interpolation

      1. Thus the presentation of Peter in these verses contradicts the repeated

      denigration of Peter elsewhere (e.g. 8:33; 14:30; 14:37; 14:50). Also the

      presence of 16:7 has the effect of transforming the women¹s silence in 16:8

      into outright disobedience, which is most unlikely, especially as the author

      elsewhere shows no sign of a notable anti-female bias.

      2. 14:28 no longer separates the prophecy of sheep being scattered from

      Peter¹s ³Even though they all fall away² which refers back to the

      scattering. The fleeing and trembling of 16:8 make more sense without the

      reassurance of 16:7.

      3. The reason for the interpolation was clearly in order to rehabilitate

      Peter. The addition of chapter 21 to the gospel of John was similarly

      motivated to enhance the reputation of Peter.

      The third-century (?!) Fayyum fragment omits 14:28.

      Matthew has versions of both verses. But as Matthew was written around 20

      years after Mark, this leaves plenty of time for the interpolations to have

      been introduced and to have become established in the text of Mark.

      Message 76 of 76 , Apr 7, 2011

        I hear you.  They exhaust me sometimes too.  But that is what it's about....

        Chuck

        From: Bruce

        It has been observed, " In synoptic studies a literary relationship does in

        fact mean scribal dependence between the documents."

        I respond: That is one thing that is wrong with "Synoptic Studies," and one

        reason why they are still deadlocked at the present moment. If the Synoptic

        Problem is to define the relations between the Synoptics (and I have

        encountered that definition, more than once), and if the possible relations

        are limited to scribal dependence, then the problem as stated is in fact

        insoluble, and this and all other discussions on that basis are simply

        taking up bandwidth, to no purpose.

        Bruce

        E Bruce Brooks / Warring States Project / University of Massachusetts at

        Amherst