Re: Jeff Re: Resurrection appearances (was: Re: [Synoptic-L] Does the 3ST solve the Synoptic Problem ?)

  • ddcanne@windstream.net
    Message 1 of 76 , Apr 3, 2011
      Chuck, that simplest explanation isn't necessarily the only one or the simplest, I think. Doesn't it begin with a premise that the gospeleers were attempting to faithfully "write history?" If this premise is correct, there would have been no need for two separate (or more) gospels. If, however, they were giving their "spin" on the Jesus story, there is no reason to presume this.

      Dennis Dean Carpenter
      Dahlonega, Ga. USA

      Message 76 of 76 , Apr 7, 2011
        Bruce,

        I hear you.  They exhaust me sometimes too.  But that is what it's about....

        Chuck

        From: Bruce

        It has been observed, " In synoptic studies a literary relationship does in

        fact mean scribal dependence between the documents."

        I respond: That is one thing that is wrong with "Synoptic Studies," and one

        reason why they are still deadlocked at the present moment. If the Synoptic

        Problem is to define the relations between the Synoptics (and I have

        encountered that definition, more than once), and if the possible relations

        are limited to scribal dependence, then the problem as stated is in fact

        insoluble, and this and all other discussions on that basis are simply

        taking up bandwidth, to no purpose.

        Bruce

        E Bruce Brooks / Warring States Project / University of Massachusetts at

        Amherst