Re: Jeff Re: Resurrection appearances (was: Re: [Synoptic-L] Does the 3ST solve the Synoptic Problem ?)

    Message 1 of 76 , Apr 2, 2011
      Jeff,

      Several posts back I wrote the following.  I continue to think it has merit.

      "Here is the relationship dilemma for the two books in terms of their beginning chapters.  (1) They each have an elaborate story of Jesus' birth accompanied by a genealogy, and yet (2) they tell two completely different stories (3) that have almost no verbal overlap and, most importantly, (4) that are completely incompatible with each other.

      "In other words, the structure of Mt and Lk is the same, but the content of the new material within that structure is different.  (On the occasions when their genealogies overlap they had a common source available, I Chronicles 1-9.)

      "The most likely explanation of this phenomenon is that Lk had heard about Mt's gospel but had never seen or heard it.  I'm *not* saying this is the most likely explanation of the overall relationship of the two books.  I am saying that it is the most likely explanation of the relationship of the birth stories."

      Thanks,

      --- On Fri, 4/1/11, Jeff Peterson <peterson@...> wrote:

      Chuck,

      I'd think a literary relationship with Mt is strongly suggested by the fact that Luke augments the Marcan narrative account on both the front end and the back end, in spite of the fact that he represents preaching about Jesus as having covered the period from John's baptism (as in Mark) to Jesus' resurrection (Acts 10:36ff).

      Jeff Peterson

      Message 76 of 76 , Apr 7, 2011

        I hear you.  They exhaust me sometimes too.  But that is what it's about....

        Chuck

        From: Bruce

        It has been observed, " In synoptic studies a literary relationship does in

        fact mean scribal dependence between the documents."

        I respond: That is one thing that is wrong with "Synoptic Studies," and one

        reason why they are still deadlocked at the present moment. If the Synoptic

        Problem is to define the relations between the Synoptics (and I have

        encountered that definition, more than once), and if the possible relations

        are limited to scribal dependence, then the problem as stated is in fact

        insoluble, and this and all other discussions on that basis are simply

        taking up bandwidth, to no purpose.

        Bruce

        E Bruce Brooks / Warring States Project / University of Massachusetts at

        Amherst