Re: Jeff Re: Resurrection appearances (was: Re: [Synoptic-L] Does the 3ST solve the Synoptic Problem ?)

  • Bob Schacht
    Message 1 of 76 , Apr 1, 2011
      At 01:24 PM 4/1/2011, Jeff Peterson wrote:
      >Chuck,
      >
      >Mt and Lk are no more incompatible in their birth stories than Mk and Lk are
      >in their resurrection narratives: was it Galilee or Jerusalem? The disciples
      >can't have had their reunion with the risen Jesus in both places.

      Why not?
      First, all resurrection stories end with the mysterious disappearance
      of Jesus (by ascension, or whatever) so that there is no final
      resting place for his mortal remains, and neither Galilee nor
      Jerusalem can use his mortal remains to claim priority.

      Second, it is at least plausible that after the crucifixion, some
      disciples went to Galilee, but others stayed behind in Jerusalem.
      Peter came from a fishing family; his return to Galilee is reported
      at length in GJohn 21, and we know of archaeological claims that
      Peter's home in Galilee became a church. He, at least, had a family
      business to go back to-- maybe even a wife.

      But the manner of Jesus' resurrection appearance in Galilee is
      mystical (they don't recognize him at first), providing a clue to the
      disciples who did not go back to Galilee that Jesus might appear in a
      form not easily recognized at first. This could have sparked
      reconsideration of previous experiences by the disciples who stayed
      in Jerusalem ("Wait a minute. Remember what Cleopas told us about his
      walk to Emmaus the day after the Resurrection?"), re-interpreting
      them as resurrection appearances. And when you have a resurrected
      body that can walk through doors and stuff, why not resurrection
      appearances in more than one place?

      But if Jesus' resurrected body can appear in more than one place, one
      cannot make the same claim for the disciples.
      Was there any one *named* disciple who was claimed to be at more than
      one resurrection appearance of Jesus in the flesh?

      Bob Schacht
      Northern Arizona University

      Message 76 of 76 , Apr 7, 2011

        I hear you.  They exhaust me sometimes too.  But that is what it's about....

        Chuck

        From: Bruce

        It has been observed, " In synoptic studies a literary relationship does in

        fact mean scribal dependence between the documents."

        I respond: That is one thing that is wrong with "Synoptic Studies," and one

        reason why they are still deadlocked at the present moment. If the Synoptic

        Problem is to define the relations between the Synoptics (and I have

        encountered that definition, more than once), and if the possible relations

        are limited to scribal dependence, then the problem as stated is in fact

        insoluble, and this and all other discussions on that basis are simply

        taking up bandwidth, to no purpose.

        Bruce

        E Bruce Brooks / Warring States Project / University of Massachusetts at

        Amherst