Re: [Synoptic-L] Dating the NT (Added Note)

  • R. Steven Notley
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2005
      Bob

      Sorry, I forgot to mention this.

      You may find of interest a volume of collected studies that Brill
      Academic Publishers is releasing this month, Jesus' Last Week:
      Jerusalem Studies in the Synoptic Gospels: Volume One. With the ink
      barely dry, it will be on display at SBL. To my mind, it is not
      simply the historical or biblical content that is important but the
      methodological issues that are on display in the work.

      An anticipated second volume will actually address specifically the
      issue of Hebrew in the first century and its importance in our reading
      of the Gospels.

      These are studies by Jewish and Christian scholars who live or have
      lived in Jerusalem and work with an intimate knowledge of Hebrew and
      the contours of Jewish thought at the close of the Second Temple
      period. What the authors share in common is a deep appreciation for
      the importance of Hebrew and first century Judaism for our reading of
      the Synoptic Gospels.

      shalom
      R. Steven Notley, Ph.D. (Hebrew University, Jerusalem)
      Professor of Biblical Studies
      Nyack College NYC