Re: [SPAM] Re: [Synoptic-L] Does the 3ST solve the Synoptic Problem ?

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 67 , Mar 31, 2011
      It's been enjoyable to catch up on this discussion this evening, one of the
      liveliest on Synoptic-L for a while. It occurred to me today that
      Synoptic-L is now a teenager, having been born in 1998!

      A couple of observations. First, on the analogy between Mark 16 // Luke 24
      and Matt. 1-2 // Luke 1-2, it occurs to me that we can actually quantify the
      agreement, at least as far as it relates to verbatim agreement. As several
      have mentioned, Matt. 1.21 // Luke 1.31 has a striking sequential agreement
      (TEX[Hi/ETAI DE hUION KAI KALESEIS TO ONOMA AUTOU IHSOUN). It's seven
      conjoined words in Greek (including the singular KALESEIS which does not
      work in Luke's context). Is there anything of this length in Mark 16 //
      Luke 24? Well, the longest I can find is three words, OUK ESTIN hWDE in
      Mark 16.6 // Luke 24.6 and APO TOU MNHMEIOU in Mark 16.8 // Luke 24.9. So I
      think the analogy offered by Jeff holds, at least as far as sequential
      verbatim agreement is concerned.

      I also wanted to pick up on David Mealand's comment:

      > The mention of the names Mary and Joseph, Davidic descent, Herod,
      > and that Jesus brings salvation are all motifs more widely found
      > in texts such as those of Mark and Paul, well before Matthew and
      > Luke get going.

      I am not so sure about this. Mary does feature in Mark (6.3) but not in
      Paul. Joseph features in neither. Davidic descent is in Paul and Mark but
      Herod is not.

      All best
      Mark

      --
      Mark Goodacre
      Duke University

      http://www.markgoodacre.org

      Message 67 of 67 , Apr 6, 2011
        Bob,
        Thanks for the follow up.  I did read the irony in the note backwards.  I hang around the group and usually only read.  I've been amazed at the conversation my post initiated.  I've made the comment before.  Weird but fun.
        Chuck