RE: [Synoptic-L] Jordan battles to regain 'priceless' Christian relics

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
      Jeffrey, thank you. Definitely a 'wait and see' thing at the moment. First
      thing - get the lead dated. Until then, put it on the back burner.

      David Inglis
      Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
        If the extract below is correct then its author needs to explain the
        menorah shown in the Jewish catacombs in Rome does he not? For
        "A Menorah depicted in a Jewish tomb in the Catacombs under Villa Torlonia"
        see photo at
        http://goeurope.about.com/od/rome/ig/Villa-Torlonia-Catacombs/jewish-catacombs-rome-12.htm

        ------------------The report claims: -------------
        Mr Elkington says the relics feature signs that early Christians would
        have interpreted as indicating Jesus, shown side-by-side with others
        they would have regarded as representing the presence of God.
        "It's talking about the coming of the messiah," he says.
        "In the upper square [of one of the book covers] we have the
        seven-branch menorah, which Jews were utterly forbidden to represent
        because it resided in the holiest place in the Temple in the presence
        of God.

        So maybe not, or perhaps even more definitely not.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30, 2011
          Re Elkington and texts on lead codices:

          Not sure how all this connects up (if it does) but
          Copac has this item listed in its catalogue
          of books:
          Main author: Elkington, David.
          Title details: The Mendip lead industry / David Elkington.
          Physical desc.: p. 183-97, 230-4 : ill. ; 22 cm.
          Language: English

          (The Mendips are a range of hills in the SW of the UK)