RE: [Synoptic-L] Ulrich Victor hit again

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2011
      Wieland,
      Thanks for this. I recently read Victor's piece on the Christ passage in Josephus - Das Testimonium Flavianum: Ein authentischer Text des Josephus - Novum Testamentum 52 (2010) 72-82. I hadn't realized it was part of a larger project.
      Best wishes,
      Ken
      Ken OlsonPhD CandidateDepartment of ReligionDuke University

      To: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
      CC: Synoptic@yahoogroups.com
      From: wie@...
      Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 17:39:37 +0100
      Subject: [Synoptic-L] Ulrich Victor hit again

      Remember Victor?

      He thinks that we are all wrong and that classical philology is superior to

      NT TC and knows everything much better.

      Now he has solved the Synoptic Problem!

      I accidentally came across this book in our library, which is buying all

      kinds of obscure books.

      Karl Jaros / Ulrich Victor

      "Die Synoptische Tradition"

      B�hlau, Cologne, 2010

      415 pages

      The book is in German. Here are a few things in my own translation:

      From the preface:

      "With the present examination the two-source hypothesis is disproved in all

      of its parts. Neither is the Gospel of Mark the draft (Vorlage) of the other

      two synoptics, also not in the form of Proto- or Deutero-Mark, nor is there

      a source Q. The three synoptic Gospels turn out to be witnesses independent

      of one another of the events, of which they report, and have a multitude

      (eine Vielzahl) of sources."

      "Three independent Gospels report, without contradicting each other in any

      important point, from the same events."

      "The synoptic Gospels originate from between 40 and 62 CE."

      "We do not want to leave any doubt, that we are still very far away from a

      satisfying text of the Gospels, How far can be shown like this: After an

      analysis of the letter of Jude using the rules of classical philology, the

      author found 21 changes to NA. Extrapolating this ... for the complete NT,

      one gets 4-5000 changes to the current 'standard' text. Establishing this

      urgently desired text will be the job of the next decades."

      From the conclusions:

      "The stemmatic method of Karl Lachmann ... led to provable conclusions ..."

      "It could be proven that not a single of the analyzed pericopes of one

      Gospel is the source (Vorlage) of one or two others. It could be further

      proven that the pericopes go back either to different sources, independent

      of one another, or ... to different, but similar sources."

      "The two source hypothesis has been disproven: None of the Gospels is the

      source of any of the other two, and the existence of Q can be ruled out."

      "The sources established by us are earlier than the synoptic Gospels ...

      Thus we are dealing with (true) facts. ... eye witness accounts ..."

      Well, so much for now.

      As a scientist reading the word "proven" in this difficult context so often

      is really disappointing and annoying.

      The books is mainly a Greek synopsis with German interlinear translation and

      discussion of the evidence after every pericope.

      The minor agreements are explained as editorial work of Mark.

      There are several statistical histograms and charts that give the impression

      of "real science". :-)

      I haven't studied this book in detail yet, not sure if I should.

      Best wishes

      Wieland

      <><

      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany