Re: Reconstructions of the original Ending of Mark

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 19, 2011
      Wow, Graham, that's great stuff!
      Thank you!
      Didn't know about the Harris quote. Interesting suggestion!

      I will look all these up for the commentary.
      Of learning there is no end ...

      Btw, the book "Side-lights on New Testament research" from
      Rendel Harris might be a good addition to archive.org. So if
      someone has it within reach ...

      Thanks all!

      Best wishes
      Wieland
      <><
      --------------------------
      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Textcritical commentary:
      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 19, 2011
        On 19 February 2011 10:56, Wieland Willker <wie@...> wrote:

        > Wow, Graham, that's great stuff!
        > Thank you!
        > Didn't know about the Harris quote. Interesting suggestion!

        Agreed -- some interesting stuff there!

        > Btw, the book "Side-lights on New Testament research" from
        > Rendel Harris might be a good addition to archive.org. So if
        > someone has it within reach ...

        It's available in toto on Google Books:

        http://books.google.com/books?id=LuTvz7V3YkUC

        Is this one of those that is locked down to users outside the US? If
        so, I could send you a PDF.

        Cheers
        Markl

        --
        Mark Goodacre
        Duke University

        http://www.markgoodacre.org
      • Wieland Willker
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 23, 2011
          Graham E Budd wrote:
          > Schmithals: Like Linnemann's, but his source also contained
          > appearances to Peter (transposed to the Tranfiguration) and to
          > the Twelve, which he moved to 3:13-19.

          Schmithals is cool. He thinks that there was no ending, but that Mk added Mk
          14:28 and 16:7 to remind the readers of something like 1Co 15:5. The two
          verses are superfluous if the appearances to Peter and the Twelve are
          actually told at the end of the Gospel. Compare:
          Mark 14:28 But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee."
          Mark 16:7 But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going ahead of you
          to Galilee; there you will see him, just as he told you."

          Schmithals continues with the idea that Mk nevertheless knew the stories
          about Jesus appearance to Peter and the Twelve from his source, but inserted
          them in a pre-Easter context.
          Peter: Mk 9:2-8 (the transfiguration), the Twelve: Mk 3:13-19 (the
          appointment of the disciples).
          He further knew Mk 16:15-20 from his source! Thus, according to Schmithals
          the complete ending in Mark's *source* was:
          16:1-6, 8 + 9:2-8a + 3:13-19 + 16:15-20 (not literally, but the basic
          content).

          Best wishes
          Wieland
          <><
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 23, 2011
            Wieland,

            If Schmithals is correct, then his analysis begs the question, Why would Mk do all this surgery to his source?

            Here's an obvious answer:  Mk knew that the third-day Jerusalem appearance legends were just that, and that the appearances of Jesus in fact occurred in Galilee, some time after Jesus' death.  He walks a redactical tightrope by including the (legendary, I believe) empty tomb story without an appearance of Jesus taking place!