Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: Reconstructions of the original Ending of Mark

  • Graham E Budd
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 19, 2011
      A few more:

      Probyn (1925): Acts 1:6-11 is a Lucan redaction of the end of Mark.
      Goodspeed: like Schweizer
      Rendel Harris: ends "for they were afraid of the Jews". (!)
      Moule, ?St Mark XVI.8 Once More,? NTS 2 (1955) 58?59 has "kai euthus
      legousin tois mathhtais peri pantwn toutwn"
      Bacon: Some account of the rallying of the disciples in Galilee by Jesus.
      Streeter: Like John 21
      Kevin (1926, JBL): Complex argument that Mark ran on into John 21-like
      appearances followed by something like the beginning of Acts, that was
      later summarised by the Longer Ending.

      GB

      Quoting Graham E Budd <graham.budd@...>:

      > So, I have dug up:
      >
      > Schweizer, Mt 28:9-10 plus Mk 16-20 (Good News According to Mark: Eng.
      > tr. 1970)
      > Bartsch: Mt 28:2-5, 9-10 (Mark familiar with 1 Cor 15:3-7) (TZ 1971)
      > Farmer: most of 16:9-20 was the original.
      > Osborne: Mt 28:9-10 (Resurrection Narratives), along with Trompf
      > Haefner: Acts 1:13-14 links Mark 16:8 to Acts 3-4
      > Burkett: has reconstructed proto-Mark A and proto-Mark B endings;
      > Schmithals: Like Linnemann's, but his source also contained
      > appearances to Peter (transposed to the Tranfiguration) and to the
      > Twelve, which he moved to 3:13-19.
      >
      > Apparently Bartsch, Ursprungliche SchluB der Leidensgeschichte has more in!
      > (in L'évangile selon Marc, pp 411-433).
      >
      > Graham
      >
      > Quoting Wieland Willker <wie@...>:
      >
      >> Ok, for the nit-pickers I rephrase my question here:
      >>
      >> It is very improbable that there ever was anything original
      >> after 16:8 of the Gospel of Mark (published).
      >>
      >> Nevertheless, for the history of research it is interesting
      >> that attempts have been made to find some longer, "original"
      >> ending.
      >>
      >> So far I know of two:
      >>
      >> 1. Harnack/Rohrbach, 1893/94: suggested that the original
      >> ending was utilized in the ending of the Gospel of Peter and
      >> that it then continued along the lines of Jo 21.
      >>
      >> 2. Eta Linnemann 1969 suggested that Mt 28:16-17 + Mk
      >> 16:15-20 was basically the original ending of Mk.
      >>

      >> Do you know any other attempts like this?
      >>

      >> Best wishes
      >> Wieland
      >> <><
      >> --------------------------
      >> Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      >> http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      >> Textcritical commentary:
      >> http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

    • Wieland Willker
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 19, 2011
        Wow, Graham, that's great stuff!
        Thank you!
        Didn't know about the Harris quote. Interesting suggestion!

        I will look all these up for the commentary.
        Of learning there is no end ...

        Btw, the book "Side-lights on New Testament research" from
        Rendel Harris might be a good addition to archive.org. So if
        someone has it within reach ...

        Thanks all!

        Best wishes
        Wieland
        <><
        --------------------------
        Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        Textcritical commentary:
        http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
      • Mark Goodacre
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 19, 2011
          On 19 February 2011 10:56, Wieland Willker <wie@...> wrote:

          > Wow, Graham, that's great stuff!
          > Thank you!
          > Didn't know about the Harris quote. Interesting suggestion!

          Agreed -- some interesting stuff there!

          > Btw, the book "Side-lights on New Testament research" from
          > Rendel Harris might be a good addition to archive.org. So if
          > someone has it within reach ...

          It's available in toto on Google Books:

          http://books.google.com/books?id=LuTvz7V3YkUC

          Is this one of those that is locked down to users outside the US? If
          so, I could send you a PDF.

          Cheers
          Markl

          --
          Mark Goodacre
          Duke University

          http://www.markgoodacre.org
        • Wieland Willker
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 23, 2011
            Graham E Budd wrote:
            > Schmithals: Like Linnemann's, but his source also contained
            > appearances to Peter (transposed to the Tranfiguration) and to
            > the Twelve, which he moved to 3:13-19.

            Schmithals is cool. He thinks that there was no ending, but that Mk added Mk
            14:28 and 16:7 to remind the readers of something like 1Co 15:5. The two
            verses are superfluous if the appearances to Peter and the Twelve are
            actually told at the end of the Gospel. Compare:
            Mark 14:28 But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee."
            Mark 16:7 But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going ahead of you
            to Galilee; there you will see him, just as he told you."

            Schmithals continues with the idea that Mk nevertheless knew the stories
            about Jesus appearance to Peter and the Twelve from his source, but inserted
            them in a pre-Easter context.
            Peter: Mk 9:2-8 (the transfiguration), the Twelve: Mk 3:13-19 (the
            appointment of the disciples).
            He further knew Mk 16:15-20 from his source! Thus, according to Schmithals
            the complete ending in Mark's *source* was:
            16:1-6, 8 + 9:2-8a + 3:13-19 + 16:15-20 (not literally, but the basic
            content).

            Best wishes
            Wieland
            <><
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 23, 2011
              Wieland,

              If Schmithals is correct, then his analysis begs the question, Why would Mk do all this surgery to his source?

              Here's an obvious answer:  Mk knew that the third-day Jerusalem appearance legends were just that, and that the appearances of Jesus in fact occurred in Galilee, some time after Jesus' death.  He walks a redactical tightrope by including the (legendary, I believe) empty tomb story without an appearance of Jesus taking place!