Re: [Synoptic-L] Reconstructions of the original Ending of Mark

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 18 10:36 AM
      It's worth noting that Mk 16:1-8 does not contain a resurrection appearance, but rather predicts appearances will occur later in Galilee.  This cannot, of course, be reconciled with the third-day appearance legends in Mt, Lk and Jn.

      Rev. Chuck JonesAtlanta, Georgia

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 18 10:40 AM
        I concur with Mark that we have the original ending of Mk, which is at 16:8.

        Rev. Chuck JonesAtlanta, Georgia

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 18 11:37 AM
          On 2/18/2011 12:36 PM, Chuck Jones wrote:
          > It's worth noting that Mk 16:1-8 does not contain a resurrection appearance, but rather predicts appearances will occur later in Galilee. This cannot, of course, be reconciled with the third-day appearance legends in Mt, Lk and Jn.

          Except that the prediction in Mark 16 is back grounded by Jesus "passion
          predictions" in which a "third day" theme has already been sounded out, no?

          Jeffrey

          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 18 12:15 PM
            Ok, for the nit-pickers I rephrase my question here:

            It is very improbable that there ever was anything original
            after 16:8 of the Gospel of Mark (published).

            Nevertheless, for the history of research it is interesting
            that attempts have been made to find some longer, "original"
            ending.

            So far I know of two:

            1. Harnack/Rohrbach, 1893/94: suggested that the original
            ending was utilized in the ending of the Gospel of Peter and
            that it then continued along the lines of Jo 21.

            2. Eta Linnemann 1969 suggested that Mt 28:16-17 + Mk
            16:15-20 was basically the original ending of Mk.

            Do you know any other attempts like this?

            Best wishes
            Wieland
            <><
            --------------------------
            Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
            http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
            Textcritical commentary:
            http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 18 3:05 PM
              > It is very improbable that there ever was an original, true ending of the
              > Gospel of Mark (published).
              >
              > Nevertheless, for the history of research it is interesting that attempts
              > have been made to find this original ending.
              >
              > So far I know of two:
              >
              > 1. Harnack/Rohrbach, 1893/94: suggested that the original ending was
              > utilized in the ending of the Gospel of Peter and that it then continued
              > along the lines of Jo 21.
              >
              > 2. Eta Linnemann 1969 suggested that Mt 28:16-17 + Mk 16:15-20 was
              > basically
              > the original ending of Mk.
              >

              > Do you know any other attempts like this?
              >

              > Best wishes
              > Wieland
              > <><

              Hi Wieland:

              Here is my go at TWO possibilities for the ending of Mark. Firstly, even
              though Mark's Greek is very noticeably that of an Aramaic speaker using a
              second language and essentially "bad Greek," a Greek sentence did not end in
              GAR and it is not the result of a Semitism. The syntax of the ending leads
              one to expect further discourse in Galilee. On the second point there are
              two possibilities:

              1. The Matthean scribe, writing in the Syrian diaspora some 55 years after
              Jesus was crucified, relies on Mark and uses Mark nearly in its entirety. If
              the missing ending of Mark is considered, uses Mark IN its entirety. Why
              would Matthew ignore the ending? If there was one. If Matthew does, in fact,
              contain those parts of the ending of Mark that are missing, it should be
              relatively easy to reconstruct the
              ending of Mark from Matthew by extracting it from the resurrection
              appearances in Matthew and retroverting them to Markan style. In that case,
              the ending of Mark would have been:

              Mark 16:9 And Jesus met them and said, "Peace be to you." (Mt. 28:9a)
              Mark 16:10 And they went up to him and clasped his feet and bowed on the
              ground before him (Mt. 28:9b)
              Mark 16:11 Jesus said to them, "You need not be afraid." (Mt. 28:10)
              Mark 16:12 Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee and they will see me
              there. (Mt. 28:10)
              Mark 16:13 And they went with great joy and ran to tell his disciples. (Mt.
              28:8)
              Mark 16:14 And the eleven disciple went to Galilee to the mountain to which
              the Jews had directed them (Mt. 28:16)
              Mark 16:15 And Jesus came up to them and said, "Go and preach the good news
              to all the heathen. I will always be with you, to the end (Mt. 28:19

              Ockham's Razor, in this case, say's that if Matthew copied Mark, the ending
              of Mark is still imbedded in Matthew.

              2. The second possibility, and I have mentioned it before, is that the 21st
              chapter of John, first appearing in Codex Bezae but missing in all earlier
              manuscripts, was originally the ending of Mark and "transplanted" in order
              to soften and harmonize Johannine anti-markan rhetoric.

              Mark anticipates a first resurrection appearance in Galilee and John 21
              without the "third appearance" editorial insert at 21:14 is that first
              appearance. In Mark, Peter denies Jesus three times (14:67-72). In John
              (21:15-17), Peter affirms his love three times....the pro-Petrine redemption
              anticipated in Mark. This completes what form critics have come to
              recognize as Markan brackets (like the bracketed blind men at 8:22 and
              10:46). In Mark, the shepherd is struck down and the sheep scattered. In
              John 21 Peter becomes the new shepherd..completing another incomplete Markan
              bracket. In Mark,
              the first words spoken to a disciple are "follow me." In John 21 the LAST
              words spoken are "follow me" (Jn 21:22) completing another Markan bracket.

              If John 21 was originally the first resurrection appearance account of the
              ending of Mark, Mark would become unified literarily if the appendage is
              restored to Mark..less a few Johannine phrases. It does. As an Aramaicist,
              I am, to the point of annoyance to some, the "follow the Aramaic" guy and
              also find support in this from Burney. If John 21 was removed from Mark,
              edited with a few Johannine signature phrases, we should see typically
              Markan Aramaisms noted in Mark and John with none or little in Matthew and
              Luke. I find this in Mark's frequent use of the historic present resulting
              from Aramaic narrative participle also frequent in John 21. There is also
              a connection between John and Mark's use of imperfects, the rare use of de
              and frequent use of kai, the partitive APO in 21:10 used by Mark at 5:35,
              6:43, 7:4 and 12:2.

              shlama amek
              Jack

              Jack Kilmon
              San Antonioo, TX
            • Tony Buglass
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 18 3:48 PM
                "Firstly, even
                though Mark's Greek is very noticeably that of an Aramaic speaker using a
                second language and essentially "bad Greek," a Greek sentence did not end in
                GAR and it is not the result of a Semitism. The syntax of the ending leads
                one to expect further discourse in Galilee."

                Maurice Casey, in his recently published "Jesus of Nazareth - an independent historian's account of his life and teaching", argues that Mark is not simply missing the ending, but is an unfinished first draft. There are numerous places crying out for revision in the text. He thinks Mark was translating Aramaic sources as he went, and 14:28 and 16:7 indicate that he had every intention of adding a Galilean appearance, but never got that far. He argues that explanations of a missing end-sheet, while plausible to an extent, do not explain why there was only one copy, or if it was the original, why the author could not replace what had been lost. If it is true that this was a document which was not yet complete, and was awaiting revision when something happened to the author, that makes a degree of sense.

                Cheers,
                Rev Tony Buglass
                Superintendent Minister
                Calderdale Methodist Circuit

              • Stephen Carlson
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 18 3:49 PM
                  On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Wieland Willker <wie@...> wrote:

                  > Nevertheless, for the history of research it is interesting that attempts
                  > have been made to find this original ending.
                  >
                  > So far I know of two:
                  >
                  > 1. Harnack/Rohrbach, 1893/94: suggested that the original ending was
                  > utilized in the ending of the Gospel of Peter and that it then continued
                  > along the lines of Jo 21.
                  >
                  > 2. Eta Linnemann 1969 suggested that Mt 28:16-17 + Mk 16:15-20 was
                  > basically
                  > the original ending of Mk.
                  >
                  > Do you know any other attempts like this?

                  B. H. Streeter has a proposal on the lost ending of Mark in his FOUR
                  GOSPELS, but it sounds very similar and perhaps even derivative of the
                  above-listed option 1.

                  Stephen
                  --
                  Stephen C. Carlson
                  Graduate Program in Religion

                • Jeff Peterson
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 18 4:01 PM
                    In his second book on the Gospels (and his third to treat the
                    question), Austin Farrer suggested that the Matthaean conclusion expands on
                    "a single, lost sentence," along the lines of "But Jesus sent forth his
                    disciples to preach the Gospel among all nations" (*St Matthew and St Mark*,
                    1954, p. 157). I think he should have stayed with his position in his
                    earlier *Glass of Vision* and *Study in St Mark*, viz., 16:8 is the
                    conclusion as Mark wrote it.

                    Jeff Peterson
                    Austin Graduate School of Theology
                    Austin, TX

> [...]

                  • Graham E Budd
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 19 3:24 AM
                      So, I have dug up:

                      Schweizer, Mt 28:9-10 plus Mk 16-20 (Good News According to Mark: Eng.
                      tr. 1970)
                      Bartsch: Mt 28:2-5, 9-10 (Mark familiar with 1 Cor 15:3-7) (TZ 1971)
                      Farmer: most of 16:9-20 was the original.
                      Osborne: Mt 28:9-10 (Resurrection Narratives), along with Trompf
                      Haefner: Acts 1:13-14 links Mark 16:8 to Acts 3-4
                      Burkett: has reconstructed proto-Mark A and proto-Mark B endings;
                      Schmithals: Like Linnemann's, but his source also contained
                      appearances to Peter (transposed to the Tranfiguration) and to the
                      Twelve, which he moved to 3:13-19.

                      Apparently Bartsch, Ursprungliche SchluB der Leidensgeschichte has more in!
                      (in L'évangile selon Marc, pp 411-433).

                      Graham

                    • ddcanne@windstream.net
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 19 3:25 AM
                        If Mark is seen as literature, separated from the other gospels and fixed at just after the first Jewish Roman War, the ending (16:8) seems the best way it could have been ended. It points to new hope, new possibilities. There is really no compelling reason it should have ended with appearance narratives. "God is salvation." I see the other gospel endings as "requirements" for the new religion, "apologetics." (One finds reason for this need implied in Matthew 27:64-66.)

                        Dennis Dean Carpenter
                        Dahlonega, Ga.

                        ---- Jeff Peterson <peterson@...> wrote:
                        > In his second book on the Gospels (and his third to treat the
                        > question), Austin Farrer suggested that the Matthaean conclusion expands on
                        > "a single, lost sentence," along the lines of "But Jesus sent forth his
                        > disciples to preach the Gospel among all nations" (*St Matthew and St Mark*,
                        > 1954, p. 157). I think he should have stayed with his position in his
                        > earlier *Glass of Vision* and *Study in St Mark*, viz., 16:8 is the
                        > conclusion as Mark wrote it.
                        >
                        > Jeff Peterson
                        > Austin Graduate School of Theology
                        > Austin, TX

                      • Graham E Budd
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 19 5:58 AM
                          A few more:

                          Probyn (1925): Acts 1:6-11 is a Lucan redaction of the end of Mark.
                          Goodspeed: like Schweizer
                          Rendel Harris: ends "for they were afraid of the Jews". (!)
                          Moule, ?St Mark XVI.8 Once More,? NTS 2 (1955) 58?59 has "kai euthus
                          legousin tois mathhtais peri pantwn toutwn"
                          Bacon: Some account of the rallying of the disciples in Galilee by Jesus.
                          Streeter: Like John 21
                          Kevin (1926, JBL): Complex argument that Mark ran on into John 21-like
                          appearances followed by something like the beginning of Acts, that was
                          later summarised by the Longer Ending.

                          GB

                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 19 7:56 AM
                            Wow, Graham, that's great stuff!
                            Thank you!
                            Didn't know about the Harris quote. Interesting suggestion!

                            I will look all these up for the commentary.
                            Of learning there is no end ...

                            Btw, the book "Side-lights on New Testament research" from
                            Rendel Harris might be a good addition to archive.org. So if
                            someone has it within reach ...

                            Thanks all!

                            Best wishes
                            Wieland
                            <><
                            --------------------------
                            Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                            http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
                            Textcritical commentary:
                            http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
                          • Mark Goodacre
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 19 11:30 AM
                              On 19 February 2011 10:56, Wieland Willker <wie@...> wrote:

                              > Wow, Graham, that's great stuff!
                              > Thank you!
                              > Didn't know about the Harris quote. Interesting suggestion!

                              Agreed -- some interesting stuff there!

                              > Btw, the book "Side-lights on New Testament research" from
                              > Rendel Harris might be a good addition to archive.org. So if
                              > someone has it within reach ...

                              It's available in toto on Google Books:

                              http://books.google.com/books?id=LuTvz7V3YkUC

                              Is this one of those that is locked down to users outside the US? If
                              so, I could send you a PDF.

                              Cheers
                              Markl

                              > Thanks all!
                              >
                              > Best wishes
                              > Wieland
                              > <><
                              > --------------------------
                              > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                              > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
                              > Textcritical commentary:
                              > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

                              --
                              Mark Goodacre
                              Duke University
                              Department of Religion
                              Gray Building / Box 90964
                              Durham, NC 27708-0964    USA
                              Phone: 919-660-3503        Fax: 919-660-3530

                              http://www.markgoodacre.org
                            • Wieland Willker
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 23 8:36 AM
                                Graham E Budd wrote:
                                > Schmithals: Like Linnemann's, but his source also contained
                                > appearances to Peter (transposed to the Tranfiguration) and to
                                > the Twelve, which he moved to 3:13-19.

                                Schmithals is cool. He thinks that there was no ending, but that Mk added Mk
                                14:28 and 16:7 to remind the readers of something like 1Co 15:5. The two
                                verses are superfluous if the appearances to Peter and the Twelve are
                                actually told at the end of the Gospel. Compare:
                                Mark 14:28 But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee."
                                Mark 16:7 But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going ahead of you
                                to Galilee; there you will see him, just as he told you."

                                Schmithals continues with the idea that Mk nevertheless knew the stories
                                about Jesus appearance to Peter and the Twelve from his source, but inserted
                                them in a pre-Easter context.
                                Peter: Mk 9:2-8 (the transfiguration), the Twelve: Mk 3:13-19 (the
                                appointment of the disciples).
                                He further knew Mk 16:15-20 from his source! Thus, according to Schmithals
                                the complete ending in Mark's *source* was:
                                16:1-6, 8 + 9:2-8a + 3:13-19 + 16:15-20 (not literally, but the basic
                                content).

                                Best wishes
                                Wieland
                                <><
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 23 12:04 PM
                                  Wieland,

                                  If Schmithals is correct, then his analysis begs the question, Why would Mk do all this surgery to his source?

                                  Here's an obvious answer:  Mk knew that the third-day Jerusalem appearance legends were just that, and that the appearances of Jesus in fact occurred in Galilee, some time after Jesus' death.  He walks a redactical tightrope by including the (legendary, I believe) empty tomb story without an appearance of Jesus taking place!