Re: Reconstructions of the original Ending of Mark

  • Wieland Willker
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 18, 2011
      You are getting off topic. ;-)
      My question was if you know of any other attempts to
      reconstruct an ending of Mark, besides the two I mentioned.

      Best wishes
      Wieland
      <><
      --------------------------
      Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      Textcritical commentary:
      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
    • Matson, Mark (Academic)
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 18, 2011
        But you spoke of the "true ending of Mark," not reconstructions (or, better, constructions0. Just saying....

        Mark A. Matson
        Academic Dean
        Milligan College
        423-461-8720

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 18, 2011
          It's worth noting that Mk 16:1-8 does not contain a resurrection appearance, but rather predicts appearances will occur later in Galilee.  This cannot, of course, be reconciled with the third-day appearance legends in Mt, Lk and Jn.

          Rev. Chuck JonesAtlanta, Georgia

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 18, 2011
            I concur with Mark that we have the original ending of Mk, which is at 16:8.

          • jgibson000@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 18, 2011
              On 2/18/2011 12:36 PM, Chuck Jones wrote:
              > It's worth noting that Mk 16:1-8 does not contain a resurrection appearance, but rather predicts appearances will occur later in Galilee. This cannot, of course, be reconciled with the third-day appearance legends in Mt, Lk and Jn.

              Except that the prediction in Mark 16 is back grounded by Jesus "passion
              predictions" in which a "third day" theme has already been sounded out, no?

              Jeffrey

              --
              Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
              1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 18, 2011
                Ok, for the nit-pickers I rephrase my question here:

                It is very improbable that there ever was anything original
                after 16:8 of the Gospel of Mark (published).

                Nevertheless, for the history of research it is interesting
                that attempts have been made to find some longer, "original"
                ending.

                So far I know of two:

                1. Harnack/Rohrbach, 1893/94: suggested that the original
                ending was utilized in the ending of the Gospel of Peter and
                that it then continued along the lines of Jo 21.

                2. Eta Linnemann 1969 suggested that Mt 28:16-17 + Mk
                16:15-20 was basically the original ending of Mk.

                Do you know any other attempts like this?

                Best wishes
                Wieland
                <><
                --------------------------
                Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
                Textcritical commentary:
                http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
              • Jack Kilmon
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 18, 2011
                  > It is very improbable that there ever was an original, true ending of the
                  > Gospel of Mark (published).
                  >
                  > Nevertheless, for the history of research it is interesting that attempts
                  > have been made to find this original ending.
                  >
                  > So far I know of two:
                  >
                  > 1. Harnack/Rohrbach, 1893/94: suggested that the original ending was
                  > utilized in the ending of the Gospel of Peter and that it then continued
                  > along the lines of Jo 21.
                  >
                  > 2. Eta Linnemann 1969 suggested that Mt 28:16-17 + Mk 16:15-20 was
                  > basically
                  > the original ending of Mk.
                  >

                  > Do you know any other attempts like this?
                  >

                  > Best wishes
                  > Wieland
                  > <><

                  Hi Wieland:

                  Here is my go at TWO possibilities for the ending of Mark. Firstly, even
                  though Mark's Greek is very noticeably that of an Aramaic speaker using a
                  second language and essentially "bad Greek," a Greek sentence did not end in
                  GAR and it is not the result of a Semitism. The syntax of the ending leads
                  one to expect further discourse in Galilee. On the second point there are
                  two possibilities:

                  1. The Matthean scribe, writing in the Syrian diaspora some 55 years after
                  Jesus was crucified, relies on Mark and uses Mark nearly in its entirety. If
                  the missing ending of Mark is considered, uses Mark IN its entirety. Why
                  would Matthew ignore the ending? If there was one. If Matthew does, in fact,
                  contain those parts of the ending of Mark that are missing, it should be
                  relatively easy to reconstruct the
                  ending of Mark from Matthew by extracting it from the resurrection
                  appearances in Matthew and retroverting them to Markan style. In that case,
                  the ending of Mark would have been:

                  Mark 16:9 And Jesus met them and said, "Peace be to you." (Mt. 28:9a)
                  Mark 16:10 And they went up to him and clasped his feet and bowed on the
                  ground before him (Mt. 28:9b)
                  Mark 16:11 Jesus said to them, "You need not be afraid." (Mt. 28:10)
                  Mark 16:12 Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee and they will see me
                  there. (Mt. 28:10)
                  Mark 16:13 And they went with great joy and ran to tell his disciples. (Mt.
                  28:8)
                  Mark 16:14 And the eleven disciple went to Galilee to the mountain to which
                  the Jews had directed them (Mt. 28:16)
                  Mark 16:15 And Jesus came up to them and said, "Go and preach the good news
                  to all the heathen. I will always be with you, to the end (Mt. 28:19

                  Ockham's Razor, in this case, say's that if Matthew copied Mark, the ending
                  of Mark is still imbedded in Matthew.

                  2. The second possibility, and I have mentioned it before, is that the 21st
                  chapter of John, first appearing in Codex Bezae but missing in all earlier
                  manuscripts, was originally the ending of Mark and "transplanted" in order
                  to soften and harmonize Johannine anti-markan rhetoric.

                  Mark anticipates a first resurrection appearance in Galilee and John 21
                  without the "third appearance" editorial insert at 21:14 is that first
                  appearance. In Mark, Peter denies Jesus three times (14:67-72). In John
                  (21:15-17), Peter affirms his love three times....the pro-Petrine redemption
                  anticipated in Mark. This completes what form critics have come to
                  recognize as Markan brackets (like the bracketed blind men at 8:22 and
                  10:46). In Mark, the shepherd is struck down and the sheep scattered. In
                  John 21 Peter becomes the new shepherd..completing another incomplete Markan
                  bracket. In Mark,
                  the first words spoken to a disciple are "follow me." In John 21 the LAST
                  words spoken are "follow me" (Jn 21:22) completing another Markan bracket.

                  If John 21 was originally the first resurrection appearance account of the
                  ending of Mark, Mark would become unified literarily if the appendage is
                  restored to Mark..less a few Johannine phrases. It does. As an Aramaicist,
                  I am, to the point of annoyance to some, the "follow the Aramaic" guy and
                  also find support in this from Burney. If John 21 was removed from Mark,
                  edited with a few Johannine signature phrases, we should see typically
                  Markan Aramaisms noted in Mark and John with none or little in Matthew and
                  Luke. I find this in Mark's frequent use of the historic present resulting
                  from Aramaic narrative participle also frequent in John 21. There is also
                  a connection between John and Mark's use of imperfects, the rare use of de
                  and frequent use of kai, the partitive APO in 21:10 used by Mark at 5:35,
                  6:43, 7:4 and 12:2.

                  shlama amek
                  Jack

                  Jack Kilmon
                  San Antonioo, TX
                • Tony Buglass
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 18, 2011
                    "Firstly, even
                    though Mark's Greek is very noticeably that of an Aramaic speaker using a
                    second language and essentially "bad Greek," a Greek sentence did not end in
                    GAR and it is not the result of a Semitism. The syntax of the ending leads
                    one to expect further discourse in Galilee."

                    Maurice Casey, in his recently published "Jesus of Nazareth - an independent historian's account of his life and teaching", argues that Mark is not simply missing the ending, but is an unfinished first draft. There are numerous places crying out for revision in the text. He thinks Mark was translating Aramaic sources as he went, and 14:28 and 16:7 indicate that he had every intention of adding a Galilean appearance, but never got that far. He argues that explanations of a missing end-sheet, while plausible to an extent, do not explain why there was only one copy, or if it was the original, why the author could not replace what had been lost. If it is true that this was a document which was not yet complete, and was awaiting revision when something happened to the author, that makes a degree of sense.

                    Cheers,
                    Rev Tony Buglass
                    Superintendent Minister
                    Calderdale Methodist Circuit

                  • Stephen Carlson
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 18, 2011
                      On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Wieland Willker <wie@...> wrote:

                      > Nevertheless, for the history of research it is interesting that attempts
                      > have been made to find this original ending.
                      >
                      > So far I know of two:
                      >
                      > 1. Harnack/Rohrbach, 1893/94: suggested that the original ending was
                      > utilized in the ending of the Gospel of Peter and that it then continued
                      > along the lines of Jo 21.
                      >
                      > 2. Eta Linnemann 1969 suggested that Mt 28:16-17 + Mk 16:15-20 was
                      > basically
                      > the original ending of Mk.
                      >
                      > Do you know any other attempts like this?

                      B. H. Streeter has a proposal on the lost ending of Mark in his FOUR
                      GOSPELS, but it sounds very similar and perhaps even derivative of the
                      above-listed option 1.

                      Stephen
                      --
                      Stephen C. Carlson
                      Graduate Program in Religion

                    • Jeff Peterson
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 18, 2011
                        In his second book on the Gospels (and his third to treat the
                        question), Austin Farrer suggested that the Matthaean conclusion expands on
                        "a single, lost sentence," along the lines of "But Jesus sent forth his
                        disciples to preach the Gospel among all nations" (*St Matthew and St Mark*,
                        1954, p. 157). I think he should have stayed with his position in his
                        earlier *Glass of Vision* and *Study in St Mark*, viz., 16:8 is the
                        conclusion as Mark wrote it.

                        Jeff Peterson
                        Austin Graduate School of Theology
                        Austin, TX

> [...]

                      • Graham E Budd
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 19, 2011
                          So, I have dug up:

                          Schweizer, Mt 28:9-10 plus Mk 16-20 (Good News According to Mark: Eng.
                          tr. 1970)
                          Bartsch: Mt 28:2-5, 9-10 (Mark familiar with 1 Cor 15:3-7) (TZ 1971)
                          Farmer: most of 16:9-20 was the original.
                          Osborne: Mt 28:9-10 (Resurrection Narratives), along with Trompf
                          Haefner: Acts 1:13-14 links Mark 16:8 to Acts 3-4
                          Burkett: has reconstructed proto-Mark A and proto-Mark B endings;
                          Schmithals: Like Linnemann's, but his source also contained
                          appearances to Peter (transposed to the Tranfiguration) and to the
                          Twelve, which he moved to 3:13-19.

                          Apparently Bartsch, Ursprungliche SchluB der Leidensgeschichte has more in!
                          (in L'évangile selon Marc, pp 411-433).

                          Graham

                        • ddcanne@windstream.net
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 19, 2011
                            If Mark is seen as literature, separated from the other gospels and fixed at just after the first Jewish Roman War, the ending (16:8) seems the best way it could have been ended. It points to new hope, new possibilities. There is really no compelling reason it should have ended with appearance narratives. "God is salvation." I see the other gospel endings as "requirements" for the new religion, "apologetics." (One finds reason for this need implied in Matthew 27:64-66.)

                            Dennis Dean Carpenter
                            Dahlonega, Ga.

                            ---- Jeff Peterson <peterson@...> wrote:
                            > In his second book on the Gospels (and his third to treat the
                            > question), Austin Farrer suggested that the Matthaean conclusion expands on
                            > "a single, lost sentence," along the lines of "But Jesus sent forth his
                            > disciples to preach the Gospel among all nations" (*St Matthew and St Mark*,
                            > 1954, p. 157). I think he should have stayed with his position in his
                            > earlier *Glass of Vision* and *Study in St Mark*, viz., 16:8 is the
                            > conclusion as Mark wrote it.
                            >
                            > Jeff Peterson
                            > Austin Graduate School of Theology
                            > Austin, TX

                          • Graham E Budd
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 19, 2011
                              A few more:

                              Probyn (1925): Acts 1:6-11 is a Lucan redaction of the end of Mark.
                              Goodspeed: like Schweizer
                              Rendel Harris: ends "for they were afraid of the Jews". (!)
                              Moule, ?St Mark XVI.8 Once More,? NTS 2 (1955) 58?59 has "kai euthus
                              legousin tois mathhtais peri pantwn toutwn"
                              Bacon: Some account of the rallying of the disciples in Galilee by Jesus.
                              Streeter: Like John 21
                              Kevin (1926, JBL): Complex argument that Mark ran on into John 21-like
                              appearances followed by something like the beginning of Acts, that was
                              later summarised by the Longer Ending.

                              GB

                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 19, 2011
                                Wow, Graham, that's great stuff!
                                Thank you!
                                Didn't know about the Harris quote. Interesting suggestion!

                                I will look all these up for the commentary.
                                Of learning there is no end ...

                                Btw, the book "Side-lights on New Testament research" from
                                Rendel Harris might be a good addition to archive.org. So if
                                someone has it within reach ...

                                Thanks all!

                                Best wishes
                                Wieland
                                <><
                                --------------------------
                                Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                                http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
                                Textcritical commentary:
                                http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
                              • Mark Goodacre
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 19, 2011
                                  On 19 February 2011 10:56, Wieland Willker <wie@...> wrote:

                                  > Wow, Graham, that's great stuff!
                                  > Thank you!
                                  > Didn't know about the Harris quote. Interesting suggestion!

                                  Agreed -- some interesting stuff there!

                                  > Btw, the book "Side-lights on New Testament research" from
                                  > Rendel Harris might be a good addition to archive.org. So if
                                  > someone has it within reach ...

                                  It's available in toto on Google Books:

                                  http://books.google.com/books?id=LuTvz7V3YkUC

                                  Is this one of those that is locked down to users outside the US? If
                                  so, I could send you a PDF.

                                  Cheers
                                  Markl

                                  > Thanks all!
                                  >
                                  > Best wishes
                                  > Wieland
                                  > <><
                                  > --------------------------
                                  > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
                                  > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie
                                  > Textcritical commentary:
                                  > http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/

                                  --
                                  Mark Goodacre
                                  Duke University
                                  Department of Religion
                                  Gray Building / Box 90964
                                  Durham, NC 27708-0964    USA
                                  Phone: 919-660-3503        Fax: 919-660-3530

                                  http://www.markgoodacre.org
                                • Wieland Willker
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 23, 2011
                                    Graham E Budd wrote:
                                    > Schmithals: Like Linnemann's, but his source also contained
                                    > appearances to Peter (transposed to the Tranfiguration) and to
                                    > the Twelve, which he moved to 3:13-19.

                                    Schmithals is cool. He thinks that there was no ending, but that Mk added Mk
                                    14:28 and 16:7 to remind the readers of something like 1Co 15:5. The two
                                    verses are superfluous if the appearances to Peter and the Twelve are
                                    actually told at the end of the Gospel. Compare:
                                    Mark 14:28 But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee."
                                    Mark 16:7 But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going ahead of you
                                    to Galilee; there you will see him, just as he told you."

                                    Schmithals continues with the idea that Mk nevertheless knew the stories
                                    about Jesus appearance to Peter and the Twelve from his source, but inserted
                                    them in a pre-Easter context.
                                    Peter: Mk 9:2-8 (the transfiguration), the Twelve: Mk 3:13-19 (the
                                    appointment of the disciples).
                                    He further knew Mk 16:15-20 from his source! Thus, according to Schmithals
                                    the complete ending in Mark's *source* was:
                                    16:1-6, 8 + 9:2-8a + 3:13-19 + 16:15-20 (not literally, but the basic
                                    content).

                                    Best wishes
                                    Wieland
                                    <><
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 23, 2011
                                      Wieland,

                                      If Schmithals is correct, then his analysis begs the question, Why would Mk do all this surgery to his source?

                                      Here's an obvious answer:  Mk knew that the third-day Jerusalem appearance legends were just that, and that the appearances of Jesus in fact occurred in Galilee, some time after Jesus' death.  He walks a redactical tightrope by including the (legendary, I believe) empty tomb story without an appearance of Jesus taking place!