The bible and its influence

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2005
      "The bible and its influence" is a newly published text designed to
      be able to be used in American public high schools to study the
      bible's impact on culture. It is meant to respect but not promote
      faith traditions, and has an extensive list of reviewers from many
      viewpoints. (Jewish, Catholic, Orthodox, evangelical, mainline
      protestant, and I noted one Unitarian-Universalist reviewer). While
      it goes light on scholarly points, and focuses on the main points of
      the narratives, I was curious to see what if anything it would say
      about the synoptic problem. As far as I can tell it gets two
      sentences. Mark is presented first in covering the gospels, and
      there is a brief discussion about why this is. They say, "Mark was
      probably compiled first", and "contains source material for Matthew
      and Luke".

      This is interesting for what it does not say. Q is not mentioned.
      Nor do they specifically claim Matthew and Luke used Mark. They
      report the majority scholarly opinion that Mark was first, qualified
      with a "probably", and leave open the possibility that Matthew and
      Luke might have gotten the source material in Mark, without directly
      using our Mark.

      I suppose this would be the "probably Mark, with or without Q"
      hypothesis.

      In any case I thought the book was very well done, and suitable for
      its intended purpose.

      Dave Gentile
      Riverside, IL