RSV Committee

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
      To: Synoptic
      On: RSV Committee
      From: Bruce

      Can anyone provide a full and authoritative list of the NT committee for the project that produced the RSV, about half a century agone? I have come across some individual names in the course of other things (Fred Grant was one, and a student of his still remembers the room where the Committee used to meet), but I am having an unexpectedly hard time identifying the others.

      Any help appreciated.

    • Keith Yoder
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
        Here's one list, showing NT and OT committees for the original RSV:
        http://www.bible-researcher.com/rsv.html

        That site also has a separate page for the NRSV committee:
        http://www.bible-researcher.com/nrsv.html

        Keith

        Can anyone provide a full and authoritative list of the NT committee for the project that produced the RSV, about half a century agone? I have come across some individual names in the course of other things (Fred Grant was one, and a student of his still remembers the room where the Committee used to meet), but I am having an unexpectedly hard time identifying the others.

        Any help appreciated.

      • Stephen Carlson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
          On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:00 AM, E Bruce Brooks <brooks@...>wrote:

          > Can anyone provide a full and authoritative list of the NT committee for
          > the project that produced the RSV, about half a century agone? I have come
          > across some individual names in the course of other things (Fred Grant was
          > one, and a student of his still remembers the room where the Committee used
          > to meet), but I am having an unexpectedly hard time identifying the others.

          This web page has a list and cites an apparently authoritative source:
          http://www.bible-researcher.com/rsv.html

          <http://www.bible-researcher.com/rsv.html>According to the web page, the
          members of the NT committee, before 1952, included:

          - Luther A. Weigle, Yale University, Chairman.
          - James Moffatt, Union Theological Seminary, Executive Secretary. (died
          1944)
          - Henry J. Cadbury, Harvard University.
          - Edgar J. Goodspeed, University of Chicago.
          - Walter Russell Bowie, Union Theological Seminary.
          - Frederick C. Grant, Union Theological Seminary.
          - Millar Burrows, Yale University. (joined 1938)
          - Clarence T. Craig, Oberlin Graduate School of Theology.
          - Abdel R. Wentz, Lutheran Theological Seminary, Gettysburg.

          Stephen Carlson
          --
          Stephen C. Carlson
          Graduate Program in Religion

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2011
            Keith,

            Thanks for the prompt reference. Evidently there is more to be told, though,
            since between 1946 and the 1971 preface a lot of replacements can have
            occurred. Some of them (eg, Frank Beare) are identified in individual
            entries in the useful Dictionary of Biblical Interpretation. So I guess I am
            still looking for a diachronic list.

          • dlijomoses
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2011
              Subject: New Testament Scholarship Worldwide
              Dear Friends,
              Your kind attention toward the new posts:

              (1) East Asia Journal of Theology (Vols. 1-4): Articles in PDF Format (http://www.facebook.com/l/4ee1axxG5TkRgqFWkb07g3HjsLg;www.biblicalstudies.org.uk);

              (2) Indian Journal of Theology (Vols. 1-10): Articles in PDF Format (http://www.facebook.com/l/4ee1axxG5TkRgqFWkb07g3HjsLg;www.biblicalstudies.org.uk);

              (3) "The Birth of Jesus in the Gospels": Catholic Resources;

              (4) "Triablogue": Some Early Sources On The Infancy Narratives;

              (5) Details about "Symposium on the occasion of the 100th Birthday of W. C. van Unnik @ Utrecht University, Holland.
              Lijo Devadhas,
              India.Research Scholar In New Testament.