Re: On Q

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 29, 2010
      Jack Kilmon wrote:

      ... the original form ... may have been ...

      Atton milkhah d'ar'a
      You are the salt of the earth
      in tafel milkha b'ma thabbelunneh
      If the salt goes flat what will it season?
      la le'thabbala w'la l'zabbala azla
      it is not fit for seasoning nor for dunging
      l'bar shadeyn lah
      throw it outside
      ra'ra'unneh
      trample it down

      Jack,

      I agree that this must be somewhere near the original. My main doubt
      concerns the first line, which is similar in form to "You are the light of
      the world" in the next verse in Matthew (5:14), and is thus probably
      Matthean in origin. This may be why most commentators consider "Salt is
      good" (Mark and Luke) to be the more original. If "the earth" (Lk 14:35)
      also replaces "seasoning", this would avoid the need here for positing a
      mistranslation, while retaining the word play.

      Lastly a minor niggle: surely the poetry is better if the last two lines are
      combined (with an intervening 'and') to make a four-line stanza. The rhyming
      'unneh' ending then comes at the end of the second and fourth lines.

      http://homepage.virgin.net/ron.price/

    • gentdave1
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 29, 2010
        Jack (and Ron),

        Again, I can certainly go as far as agreeing that many of these sayings (let's call it "core-Q") have Aramaic origins. My primary disagreement is that I think rather than being quotations from the historical Jesus, they are probably mostly sayings that accumulated in his name over time.

        Here is an interesting thing to consider: Let's take Bruce's proposal that there is a Luke_A and a Luke_B and that Luke_A pre-dates Matthew. Let's also take your assertion that Luke(_A) translates an Aramaic source, and does a good job of it. Could we then suppose that Matthew's Q is based on Luke-A's Greek Q and the Aramaic source Q? It seems this would not be much different than you proposal. Do you see a problem with it?

        Dave Gentile

> [...]
      • gentdave1
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 29, 2010
          --- In Synoptic@yahoogroups.com, "gentdave1" <GentDave@...> wrote:

          Answering my own question (below) I find I have a problem with that senerio. The statistical analysis suggests that if there is an arrow in the "Q" section it is Mt => Lk. So, while Luke may indeed have an Aramaic source, I think he probably aslo knew Matthew (which would mean, on Bruce's hypothesis, that these "Q" sayings were only added to Luke in the "B" stage.

          Dave Gentile