Proof that Luke came before Marcion?

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 25, 2010
      Does anyone know of any proof that Luke came before Marcion's gospel? Forget
      Tertullian, Epiphanius, etc., what I'm thinking of here is any reference
      (e.g. by a church father) to a portion of Luke that was not in Marcion's
      gospel, that pre-dates Marcion. If not, what is the earliest we can reliably
      date any of these parts of Luke? Basically, I'm looking when the parts of
      Luke known to be not in Marcion first showed up actually in Luke. Any
      takers?

      David Inglis

      Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 28, 2010
        Neither Marshall nor Fitzmyer seem to go into
        early use of Luke by others. J.M.Creed
        long ago (1930) did do this, see his preface
        xxii-xxxii, but I am not at all sure
        that it will answer your question very
        exactly.

        Not sure that I would have a list of
        bits of Lk that are not in Marcion anyway,
        and early citations of the Synoptics
        tend to be few, far between, and often
        inexact. But I am sure someone should have
        done a fuller study of all the early citations
        of Luke - think I have seen something like
        that for Matthew, but don't have the details
        to hand.