Re: [Synoptic-L] Gospels and Hebrew

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2010
      I am sure the Hebrew Bible is better in Hebrew.

      As for the Synoptics, given the probable Aramaic
      stratum underlying the Greek of the Synoptics
      we could do with more reconstructions of that.

      There have been
      at least 3 translations of the NT into Hebrew
      (Hutter 1599, Delitzsch 1877, Salkinson 1886)
      and more of the Gospels: Iona 1668, Greenfield 1831,
      and LSPCJ 1838. These three plus Delitzsch's
      version of the Gospels were reprinted by Carmignac
      around 1982. Fitzmyer did a brief review in
      Theol.Stud.46.746 noting that C's interest might
      be connected with his theory that the substratum
      was Hebrew not Aramaic.

      The Hebrew can be useful for putting Synoptic
      passages into a Hebrew biblical context, even
      if one thinks the substratum was Aramaic.