Re: [Synoptic-L] Free learn-Hebrew webinar

  • Horace Jeffery Hodges
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2010
      So . . . you're suggesting that the synoptic gospels were originally in Hebrew?

      Jeffery Hodges

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 22, 2010
        I am sure the Hebrew Bible is better in Hebrew.

        As for the Synoptics, given the probable Aramaic
        stratum underlying the Greek of the Synoptics
        we could do with more reconstructions of that.

        There have been
        at least 3 translations of the NT into Hebrew
        (Hutter 1599, Delitzsch 1877, Salkinson 1886)
        and more of the Gospels: Iona 1668, Greenfield 1831,
        and LSPCJ 1838. These three plus Delitzsch's
        version of the Gospels were reprinted by Carmignac
        around 1982. Fitzmyer did a brief review in
        Theol.Stud.46.746 noting that C's interest might
        be connected with his theory that the substratum
        was Hebrew not Aramaic.

        The Hebrew can be useful for putting Synoptic
        passages into a Hebrew biblical context, even
        if one thinks the substratum was Aramaic.