Free learn-Hebrew webinar

  • abbyfromtennessee
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2010
      Hi,

      I saw on Facebook that this Thursday, October 21, there is going to be a free learn-Hebrew webinar on the basics of reading and understanding Hebrew, especially Biblical Hebrew.

      Trust me, I know Hebrew and the Bible is much better in the original. ;-) So this is worth checking out.

      The signup page is here:

      http://www.hebrewbible.co.il/members/go.php?r=8&i=l1

      Peace,

      Abby
    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 18, 2010
        So . . . you're suggesting that the synoptic gospels were originally in Hebrew?

        Jeffery Hodges

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 22, 2010
          I am sure the Hebrew Bible is better in Hebrew.

          As for the Synoptics, given the probable Aramaic
          stratum underlying the Greek of the Synoptics
          we could do with more reconstructions of that.

          There have been
          at least 3 translations of the NT into Hebrew
          (Hutter 1599, Delitzsch 1877, Salkinson 1886)
          and more of the Gospels: Iona 1668, Greenfield 1831,
          and LSPCJ 1838. These three plus Delitzsch's
          version of the Gospels were reprinted by Carmignac
          around 1982. Fitzmyer did a brief review in
          Theol.Stud.46.746 noting that C's interest might
          be connected with his theory that the substratum
          was Hebrew not Aramaic.

          The Hebrew can be useful for putting Synoptic
          passages into a Hebrew biblical context, even
          if one thinks the substratum was Aramaic.