RE: [Synoptic-L] "I thank you, and own you" in Luke 10:21?

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 17, 2010
      Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. Very helpful.

      David Inglis

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 22, 2010
        --- In Synoptic@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schacht <r_schacht@...> wrote:

        > At 11:51 AM 10/17/2010, jgibson000@... wrote:
        > >On 10/17/2010 1:20 PM, Bob Schacht wrote:

        [snip]

        > According to Babylon 8, here's what the concise(!) OED sez:
        >
        > > verb
        > > possess; have.
        > > formal admit or acknowledge that something is the case.
        > > (own up) admit to having done something wrong or embarrassing.

        WARNING! Do NOT download Babylon 8. It corrupted my computer, interfered with other programs, and in a few days ravaged my operating system (Windows Vista) to the point where I could not even boot up, even though I thought I had adequate protection from malware, viruses, etc. I hope none of you have downloaded this program in the past few days. If you have, uninstall it immediately. In my case, uninstalling this program was not enough, so be prepared for further defensive action.

        Sorry I ever mentioned it.

        Bob Schacht
        Northern Arizona University
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 25, 2010
          Does anyone know of any proof that Luke came before Marcion's gospel? Forget
          Tertullian, Epiphanius, etc., what I'm thinking of here is any reference
          (e.g. by a church father) to a portion of Luke that was not in Marcion's
          gospel, that pre-dates Marcion. If not, what is the earliest we can reliably
          date any of these parts of Luke? Basically, I'm looking when the parts of
          Luke known to be not in Marcion first showed up actually in Luke. Any
          takers?

          David Inglis

          Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 28, 2010
            Neither Marshall nor Fitzmyer seem to go into
            early use of Luke by others. J.M.Creed
            long ago (1930) did do this, see his preface
            xxii-xxxii, but I am not at all sure
            that it will answer your question very
            exactly.

            Not sure that I would have a list of
            bits of Lk that are not in Marcion anyway,
            and early citations of the Synoptics
            tend to be few, far between, and often
            inexact. But I am sure someone should have
            done a fuller study of all the early citations
            of Luke - think I have seen something like
            that for Matthew, but don't have the details
            to hand.