Re: [Synoptic-L] Christological Peculiarities

    Message 1 of 36 , Oct 3, 2010
      Jeff Peterson wrote:

      > ..... Your "ordinary follower of Jesus" would
      > have found it just as difficult to believe that while the Pillars didn't
      > understand how followers of Jesus should conduct themselves at table, Paul
      > did;

      Jeff,

      What I'm trying to say here is that one can accept a hero who has minor
      flaws, such as the earnest but fallible Peter who emerges from a casual
      reading of the gospel of Mark. But a follower of Jesus can't accept a hero
      who is fundamentally on the wrong track christologically. So Paul could not
      have portrayed Peter in this way without upsetting many of his Galatian
      converts.

      > I think the reality described by 1:11 is more complex than Paul having had a
      > visionary experience which included a command to "Preach this," with a list
      > of propositions appended. Rather, as persecutor he had already heard what
      > Jesus' followers were proclaiming about him (viz., the crucified Messiah had
      > been raised and enthroned with God, inaugurating the age of deliverance
      > promised in Scripture) .....

      James and Peter were expecting the kingdom of God to come with power
      (Mk 9:1, derived from logia saying C12), i.e. the overthrow of the Roman
      occupiers and the establishment of God's kingdom on earth. This clearly
      hadn't happened when Paul came on the scene. Paul's supporter, Mark, had to
      replace the hopes of the original disciples for the establishment of a new
      Israel (saying C21, c.f. Mt 19:28) with a reward in the life to come (Mk
      10:29-30). This echoed Paul's promise of eternal life (e.g. Rom 6:22-23).
      The idea that the kingdom had been inaugurated by the coming of Jesus arose
      after the deaths of the original disciples when it began to look as if the
      return of Jesus was delayed and might be delayed a lot longer.

      > Your last sentence [regarding the ability or otherwise of the Galatians to
      > check Paul's claims] neglects the extent of travel in the early Empire, and
      > the use made of this mobility to connect early Christian communities;
      > ..... We know that Paul organized Corinthians and Macedonians for an
      > embassy to Jerusalem (1 Cor 16:3–4; 2 Cor 9:4),

      Travel was indeed facilitated by the Pax Romana, and also by the widespread
      Roman roads. But it was still slow. Your example above concerns a journey
      which Paul regarded as most important. Travelling several days merely to
      check on the truthfulness or otherwise of Paul's assertions in Galatians
      would have been a lot less palatable.

      > It was very shortsighted of Paul to maintain that he and the Pillars agreed
      > on the gospel if contact with their followers was a real possibility for his
      > converts, and if the reaction of a Jerusalem Christian to an acclamation
      > like "Praise be to the God and Father of our crucified Messiah Jesus, who
      > raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand" would have been,
      > "Come again?"

      But as I indicated earlier in this thread, I don't think Paul claimed that
      the pillars agreed on the gospel.

      > ..... Peter and the
      > other disciples are depicted as uncomprehending regarding Jesus' impending
      > death and resurrection during his ministry, but their eventual enlightenment
      > and proclamation of these events is clearly anticipated (9:9; 13:9–13; 14:9,
      > 27–28; 16:7).

      I don't see 9:9 or 14:9 as indicating eventual enlightenment.
      As for 14:28 and 16:7, I take these verses as early interpolations designed
      to rehabilitate Peter. They are quite inconsistent with the rest of the
      narrative.

      > In historical terms, once Jesus is executed, a Christology like that
      > ascribed to Peter in 8:27–33 becomes untenable .....

      I agree. But my understanding of what transpired is that James, Peter et al.
      changed to a 'Son of Man' christology (see my reconstruction of the logia),
      Paul faced up to the inconsistency by glorying in the crucifixion (e.g. 1
      Cor 1:23 : "we proclaim Christ crucified"), but playing down the belief in
      Jesus as messiah by (for the most part) using "Christ" merely as a sort of
      surname.

      Message 36 of 36 , Oct 3, 2010