going fishin'

  • mikeandrewcarrell
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2005
      I think you will enjoy this.

      I was just reading Matthew 17:24-27 on the temple tax. After all these years of
      being dumbfounded, it's nice to finally understand what the author intended!
      And it is beautiful.

      It's easy for us to understand that Jesus isn't expected to pay for his "Father's
      house," so he is exempt from the Temple tax. So, what could he give in its
      place?

      Remembering that Peter is no longer a fisherman for fish, think about this:

      Peter is told to cast a "hook" and take up the "first fish" that comes up. Let's
      understand it this way…knowing that Peter is going fishing for men, he shares
      Jesus' words to "hook" that man. And after sharing the Word, the person he
      draws up out of the water is now a newly baptized man. Since this man is
      newly baptized that which comes forth from the man's mouth, is led by the
      Spirit. The "coin," an offering due for the Father's house that comes forth from
      the man's mouth, is the glorious praise of God. This glorious praise of God is
      what Jesus desires to give to his Father. "…We give to God what is God's."

      Blessings,

      Mike Carrell
      http://www.the150parables.com/