Re: Re: [Synoptic-L] THE CHRISTOLOGY OF ACTS

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
      Dennis,

      This paraphrase obscures the problem.  If we were to paraphrase the two phrases the same way, then the church would have been purchased by Jesus' damnation.  Is that what we think is meant?

      --- On Wed, 6/30/10, Dennis Goffin <dgoffin@...> wrote:

      Chuck,

      Looking at this passage in the New Living Translation, I think it brings out the sense a lot better.

      20:26 Let me say plainly that I have been faithful. No one's damnation can be blamed on me,

      20:27 for I didn't shrink from declaring all that God wants for you.

      20:28 And now beware! Be sure that you feed and shepherd God's flock - his church, purchased with his blood - over whom the Holy Spirit has appointed you as elders.

      Does this remove the problem ?

    • Adam Crumpton
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
        If a watchman sees the enemy and doesn't sound the warning call, then he
        is guilty of whatever blood is spilled by the enemy. But if he sounds
        the alarm, then he has discharged his duty faithfully and he is not
        guilty of anyone's blood. It is this special circumstance that is being
        highlighted in the speech. Paul watched out and warned the Ephesians
        and now the Ephesian leaders need to watch over and warn their flock.
        The purchasing power of Christ's blood is certainly different both in
        substance and metaphor from that of the Ephesians. In substance because
        Christ's blood represents death, while the Ephesians blood represents
        their lives. Christ's blood represents His death because He has died,
        and as for the Ephesians - blood is a symbol for life only in the living.

        Is the juxtaposition significant, incidental, or accidental? Which ever
        of the three it is, the two types and functions of blood in the passage
        are contrasts cannot be mapped to the semantic object simply because
        they are different.

        Adam
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
          Reflecting further on Acts 20.28 after
          rereading Lake & Cadbury (Beginnings Vol.4
          p.261), there is a good case for translating
          periepoih/sato as "rescued" rather than
          as "purchased". (L & C cite relevant
          passages for this part of the word's
          semantic range.) This would decrease the
          emphasis on buying, and increase the emphasis
          on the metaphor of a rescue effected at the cost
          of the rescuer's life in this passage.

          David Mealand

        • Dennis Dean Carpenter
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
            Dennis Goffin stated, "Dennis Dean Carpenter asked " How do you equate blood to souls, in Greek culture? "
            Very easily, Paul, like Philo, and Josephus for that matter, had to bridge the gap between Jewish and Greek concepts. Blood = life = soul, therefore."

            I'm not getting that from my reading of Philo.
            Dennis Dean Carpenter
            Dahlonega, Ga.