Re: Re: [Synoptic-L] THE CHRISTOLOGY OF ACTS

  • Dennis Goffin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
      Chuck,
      Looking at this passage in the New Living Translation, I think it brings out the sense a lot better.

      20:26 Let me say plainly that I have been faithful. No one's damnation can be blamed on me,
      20:27 for I didn't shrink from declaring all that God wants for you.
      20:28 And now beware! Be sure that you feed and shepherd God's flock - his church, purchased with his blood - over whom the Holy Spirit has appointed you as elders.

      Does this remove the problem ?

      Dennis Goffin
      Chorleywood UK

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
          If a watchman sees the enemy and doesn't sound the warning call, then he
          is guilty of whatever blood is spilled by the enemy. But if he sounds
          the alarm, then he has discharged his duty faithfully and he is not
          guilty of anyone's blood. It is this special circumstance that is being
          highlighted in the speech. Paul watched out and warned the Ephesians
          and now the Ephesian leaders need to watch over and warn their flock.
          The purchasing power of Christ's blood is certainly different both in
          substance and metaphor from that of the Ephesians. In substance because
          Christ's blood represents death, while the Ephesians blood represents
          their lives. Christ's blood represents His death because He has died,
          and as for the Ephesians - blood is a symbol for life only in the living.

          Is the juxtaposition significant, incidental, or accidental? Which ever
          of the three it is, the two types and functions of blood in the passage
          are contrasts cannot be mapped to the semantic object simply because
          they are different.

          Adam
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2010
            Reflecting further on Acts 20.28 after
            rereading Lake & Cadbury (Beginnings Vol.4
            p.261), there is a good case for translating
            periepoih/sato as "rescued" rather than
            as "purchased". (L & C cite relevant
            passages for this part of the word's
            semantic range.) This would decrease the
            emphasis on buying, and increase the emphasis
            on the metaphor of a rescue effected at the cost
            of the rescuer's life in this passage.

            David Mealand

          • Dennis Dean Carpenter
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
              Dennis Goffin stated, "Dennis Dean Carpenter asked " How do you equate blood to souls, in Greek culture? "
              Very easily, Paul, like Philo, and Josephus for that matter, had to bridge the gap between Jewish and Greek concepts. Blood = life = soul, therefore."

              I'm not getting that from my reading of Philo.
              Dennis Dean Carpenter
              Dahlonega, Ga.