Re: [Synoptic-L] THE CHRISTOLOGY OF ACTS

  • Dennis Goffin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
      Dennis Dean Carpenter asked " How do you equate blood to souls, in Greek culture? "
      Very easily, Paul, like Philo, and Josephus for that matter, had to bridge the gap between Jewish and Greek concepts. Blood = life = soul, therefore.
      Dennis Goffin
      Chorleywood UK
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
        Chuck,
        Looking at this passage in the New Living Translation, I think it brings out the sense a lot better.

        20:26 Let me say plainly that I have been faithful. No one's damnation can be blamed on me,
        20:27 for I didn't shrink from declaring all that God wants for you.
        20:28 And now beware! Be sure that you feed and shepherd God's flock - his church, purchased with his blood - over whom the Holy Spirit has appointed you as elders.

        Does this remove the problem ?

        Dennis Goffin
        Chorleywood UK

        Whether we read "the blood of you" as referring to their vulnerability to persecution, heresy, or abandoning the faith, my point is that in this reference the blood of these elders doesn't atone for anybody else. So, in the same paragraph, why would we read "the blood of his son" as substitutionary atonement?

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 30, 2010
            If a watchman sees the enemy and doesn't sound the warning call, then he
            is guilty of whatever blood is spilled by the enemy. But if he sounds
            the alarm, then he has discharged his duty faithfully and he is not
            guilty of anyone's blood. It is this special circumstance that is being
            highlighted in the speech. Paul watched out and warned the Ephesians
            and now the Ephesian leaders need to watch over and warn their flock.
            The purchasing power of Christ's blood is certainly different both in
            substance and metaphor from that of the Ephesians. In substance because
            Christ's blood represents death, while the Ephesians blood represents
            their lives. Christ's blood represents His death because He has died,
            and as for the Ephesians - blood is a symbol for life only in the living.

            Is the juxtaposition significant, incidental, or accidental? Which ever
            of the three it is, the two types and functions of blood in the passage
            are contrasts cannot be mapped to the semantic object simply because
            they are different.

            Adam
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1 2:10 AM
              Reflecting further on Acts 20.28 after
              rereading Lake & Cadbury (Beginnings Vol.4
              p.261), there is a good case for translating
              periepoih/sato as "rescued" rather than
              as "purchased". (L & C cite relevant
              passages for this part of the word's
              semantic range.) This would decrease the
              emphasis on buying, and increase the emphasis
              on the metaphor of a rescue effected at the cost
              of the rescuer's life in this passage.

              David Mealand

            • Dennis Dean Carpenter
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2 10:30 AM
                Dennis Goffin stated, "Dennis Dean Carpenter asked " How do you equate blood to souls, in Greek culture? "
                Very easily, Paul, like Philo, and Josephus for that matter, had to bridge the gap between Jewish and Greek concepts. Blood = life = soul, therefore."

                I'm not getting that from my reading of Philo.
                Dennis Dean Carpenter
                Dahlonega, Ga.