Mark's ending

  • David Gentile
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2005
      I've always thought the discussion of Mark's ending seems to almost
      completely ignore a significant possibility.

      I don't think that the current ending of Mark is original, but it may
      not be that Mark originally ended at 16:8 either.

      An earlier version of Mark may have contained an ending with is now
      totally lost. For some theological reason, it was removed very early,
      and then much later the current ending was added. Obviously we don't
      have much, if any, evidence for such a lost ending. But just because we
      don't believe Mark's current ending is original, does not mean we must
      automatically conclude that it originally ended with the empty tomb. The
      only argument I can see that one might make in the way of evidence for
      such a lost ending is that the later authors certainly seemed to agree
      that a key narrative event was missing.

      Dave Gentile

      Statistician

      Captiva Software