RE: [Synoptic-L] Out of Luke Into John: A Centennial Observation

  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2010
      This is, as those who know me might guess, of great interest. But there is a ton of material that has been written on this since then, and the issue is fairly complex.

      A central question, and one raised in some very interesting papers by Lamar Cribbs and Pierson Parker, is the directionality. Certainly there are significant relationships between John and Luke (to really appreciate all of them, one might explore the series of tables I assembled in Chapter 3 -- Pattern of Luke-John Relationships -- of my dissertation (In Dialogue with Another Gospel?? --SBLDS 178)). But to simply conclude the John used Luke is perhaps (in my opinion certainly) too facile. There is much more going on here that resists an easy answer.

      One interesting feature is that where John and Luke are similar, often this is in material that Luke does not a direct Markan matchup (sometimes this difference is in a significant detail, sometimes in a major periscope). In which case it almost seems that Luke has perhaps inserted "Johannine material" in preference for Markan material. In this case, perhaps it is Luke taking over Johannine material, not the other way around. The test, of course, must be at the level of language patterns -- which I tried in a very controlled way to do with the passion narrative.

      I agree with Keith that the "accumulation" is much more impressive than individual issues. I tended to be cautious about some of the passages studied below (i.e. Lazarus, and the anointing of Jesus) because they are somewhat disconnected in some significant way in either Luke or John, and thus provide little specific control. I still tend to be doubtful that John used Luke. I am more positive that Luke used John.

      mark

      Mark A. Matson, Ph.D.
      Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean
      Milligan College
      423-461-8720