Re: [Synoptic-L] Mark and Pauline Teaching

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
      Rick Hubbard wrote:
       Jeffery-

      Could you be a little more explicit about your opinion of Mack:

      "A bit too edgy for my taste...."

      Claremont skepticism run wild -- or at least that was my impression when I looked at it years ago.

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
        At 03:07 PM 7/8/2005 -0500, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
        >Chuck Jones wrote:
        >> Rick, If you think you'd be interested in exposing yourself to
        >> another view, again, I'd recommend Mack's _Who Wrote the New
        >> Testament?_.
        >
        >A bit too edgy for my taste and tainted by some question begging
        >assumptions about Paul and his theology. Better I think is the
        >consideration of the question that can now be found in the Introduction
        >of Joel Marcus' Anchor Commentary on Mark.

        See also Joel Marcus, "Mark--Interpreter of Paul," NTS 46 (2000): 473-487.
        Here's the abstract:

        |Claiming that Mark is a Paulinist does not require that he agree with
        |Paul about everything, and plausible reasons can be advanced for a later
        |Paulinist wanting to write the story of the earthly Jesus. Martin Werner's
        |assertion that the agreements between Mark and Paul reflect general early
        |Christian viewpoints is not valid with regard to the theology of the cross,
        |which was a controversial Pauline emphasis and a stress that the later
        |Gospels attenuated in editing Mark. Contrary to Werner, Mark and Paul
        |agree in ascribing Jesus' death to a combination of human and demonic
        |opponents.

        See also M. D. Goulder, "A Pauline in a Jacobite Church" in THE FOUR GOSPELS:
        1992 (Van Segbroeck et al., eds.; BETL 100; Leuven: University Press, 1992):
        2:859-75.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...