Re: [Synoptic-L] Réville

  • Maluflen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17, 2010
      Bruce wrote, quoting Jean Réville:

      "Le règle élémentaire de la critique historique, universellement
      econnue par tous ceux qui ont la moindre notion de méthode
      cientifique, veut, en effet, que partout où nous possédons des
      ocuments différents, relatifs a un meme ensemble de faits
      istoriques, nous commencions par une comparaison rigoureuse de ces
      ocuments, afin de dégager leurs relations réciproques et le valeur
      ropre de chacun."
      Good luck finding a single modern monograph, Sinological or otherwise,
      hat is fruitfully aware of what is here called "le règle
      lémentaire." No? Or did I miss something? If so, a reference will
      lways be welcome.

      The French author cited describes this "elementary rule" as something "universally recognized by all who have the slightest notion of scientific method". I would accept this judgment, which implies that nothing new or terribly original is being stated here, rather than immediately share Bruce's skepticism that a work can be found which exhibits fruitful awareness of the principle in question. Perhaps it is I who am missing something? Of course, the author is speaking not about interpretation of the literature as such, but rather about determining the value for historical reconstruction of each of the different documents on the stated hypothesis. I state here explicitly what I presume is meant by "le valeur propre de chacun."

      Leonard Maluf
      Blessed John XXIII National Seminary
      Weston, MA