MARK AND DYNASTIC SUCCESSION

  • Dennis Goffin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2010
      While agreeing that Mark's words in the mouth of Jesus assert the primacy of belief ties over those of nature, I fail to see however why that should be their sole effect, since decrying the importance of family ties in a tribal, clannish and dynastic society also has to have an impact. We know moreover that Jesus' brother succeeded him as head of the cult and tradition has it that on James' death, he was succeeded by Simeon, another relative. Is it not possible that Mark was equally aware of the putdown as well as the boost ?
      Dennis