Re: [Synoptic-L] SON OF GOD

  • Jeffrey B Gibson
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2010
      On 4/11/2010 10:14 AM, Dennis Goffin wrote:
      > What is the import of this designation ? In Mark, it has the standard Jewish adoptionist meaning at the Baptism. In Romans 1:4 the adoption takes place at the resurrection. In both cases Jesus is fully human. In John, the Son has become a pre-existent heavenly being, a Logos having much in common with the Wisdom of God, who claims identity with the Father. What is the exact status that Mark is claiming for Jesus via the centurion in 15:39 ? It seems to me it is something more than adoption . Any offers ?
      > Dennis

      I think you'll find much that will help answer your questions in the
      following

      Mark and His Readers: The Son of God among Greeks and Romans
      Adela Yarbro Collins
      The Harvard Theological Review, Vol. 93, No. 2 (Apr., 2000), pp. 85-100

      Mark and His Readers: The Son of God among Jews
      Adela Yarbro Collins
      The Harvard Theological Review, Vol. 92, No. 4 (Oct., 1999), pp. 393-408

      Mark’s Incipit and the Priene Calendar Inscription: From Jewish Gospel
      to Greco-Roman Gospel
      Craig A. Evans
      Journal of Greco-Roman Christianity and Judaism, 1 (2000): 68–69,

      available here http://www.craigaevans.com/Priene%20art.pdf

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)