Re: [Synoptic-L] Paul and Peter (Imposture)

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 10, 2010
      Jeff,

      Forgiveness readily granted, but agreement still withheld. I do not
      think we can hope to understand ancient events on the prior and
      unexaminable assumption that everybody on the orthodox side (in the
      view of the narrator of the moment, including the principals
      themselves) always does as Jesus (in their view) would have wanted
      them to do, and that only the bad people resort to strategic
      misrepresentation.

      Paul in Galatians says that the visit to Jerusalem "after fourteen
      years" was at his initiative, to verify that his teachings were
      orthodox. Ga 2:1-2. "Then after fourteen years I went up again to
      Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along with me. [2] I went up by
      revelation; and I laid before them (but privately before those who
      were of repute) the gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, lest
      somehow I should be running, or had run, in vain."

      Paul here represents himself as voluntarily, and indeed by personal
      inspiration, seeking the opinion of Jerusalem as to the correctness of
      his preaching. The initiative, that is, was entirely on his part.

      Do you accept that? Or was he in any degree being called to account by
      other entities?

      Later in that same passage, Paul represents an amicable division of
      mission fields, arrived at without argument, "when they saw that I had
      been entrusted . . . and when they perceived the grace that was given
      to me," Paul to have exclusive franchise for the Gentiles. Does that
      agree with Paul's own conduct as he himself recounts it, in sometimes
      preaching to Jews, or with the evidences, in and out of Paul, that his
      and Peter's zone of activity and indeed of popularity continually
      overlapped?

      University of Washington