Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: [GPG] THE BELIEFS OF JESUS

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 5, 2010
      To: Synoptic
      Cc: GPG
      On: Jesus and the Temple Cult
      From: Bruce

      DENNIS: In regard to the relative importance or otherwise that Jesus
      accorded to the Temple cult, I would quote Jesus' comment in Mk. 12:
      34 as an excellent summing up.

      [Mk 12:32-34]: "you are right, Teacher; you have truly said that He is
      one, and there is no other but He, [33] and to love Him with all the
      heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the strength, and
      to love one's neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt
      offerings and sacrifices." [34]And when Jesus saw that he answered
      wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the Kingdom of God." And
      after that no one dared to ask him any question.

      BRUCE: This is a question about the most important ("first")
      commandment. It enjoins love of God (not piety toward God, and
      specifically, not sacrificial piety toward God) and love of neighbor.
      In other words, the answer sneaks in two commandments, albeit linked
      in a previously existing text or prayer.

      This seems to me to be essentially what I have called the Minor
      Prophet position, and I am on record as crediting the Original
      Historical Jesus with holding that position. It seems we have an
      agreement here too.

      As to the first of these clauses implying, and thus bringing back in,
      the whole Temple/Sabbath complex of duties, I think that is only the
      position of Judaizing Matthew ("These you ought to do, without
      neglecting the others"). I don't think it is a valid position to
      attribute to the Markan Jesus. At any of his developmental stages.