Re: [Synoptic-L] THE TORN VEIL

  • Dennis Dean Carpenter
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2010
      " Interpretations
      > ==========
      > 1) Clementine Recognitions 1:41 "The veil of the Temple was rent, as in
      > lamentation for the destruction impending over the place."
      > 2) Graham Stanton, The Gospels and Jesus, page 55 "The veil of the Temple
      > is torn in two, from top to bottom, thus symbolizing that access to God's
      > presence is now open to non-Jews."
      > 3) E Bruce Brooks: "The rending of the veil (symbolizes) the
      > desacralization of the Temple as the abode of the returned God (signifying)
      > the end of the project of Davidic restoration of Israel."
      > 4) S G F Brandon: "The incident is evidently regarded by Mark as a
      > theologoumen, proclaiming that the sacrificial death of the Son of God
      > marked the end of the Temple cultus, decreed under the Old Covenant with
      > Israel."

      I see the "torn veil" as directly relating to Mark 1:10.

      "And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove on him. And a voice came from heave, "You are my son, the Beloved..."
      "And the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. Now when the centurion, who stood facing him, saw that in this way he breathed his last, he said, 'Truly this man was God's son.'"

      I think all of the four interpretations are valid. Mark's opening and Mark's closing (to me) seem to state the pleasure and the displeasure of God. (Can one say that the "torn veil" represents the destruction of the temple, God's "home?") Ironically (and rather purposefully), in the end it is the Roman who recognizes the relationship between Jesus and God.

      Dennis Dean Carpenter
      Dahlonega, Ga.