Re: [GPG] Re: [Synoptic-L] Early Beliefs (Messiah)

    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 24, 2010
      To: GPG
      Cc: Synoptic
      On: Mark and John
      From: Bruce

      Thanks to Keith for his additional notes on recasting of previous
      tradition in John. The subject is a large one, with its own special
      interest, and all points are welcome.

      One of the skills needed by the successful churchman is the grace to
      respond politely when presented with a Festschrift which is small,
      undistinguished, and full of internal rancor, one author using his
      space to trash the opinion of another author about the date and
      authenticity of 1 Peter. Such was the crisis which must have
      confronted the dedicatee when he was handed Sherman E Johnson, The Joy
      of Study: Papers on New Testament and Related Subjects Presented to
      Honor Frederick Clifton Grant (Macmillan 1951).

      Fred his my sympathy in that moment.

      Nevertheless, there are some shreds of interest in the thing. One is
      the paper by Sydney Temple (University of Massachusetts, no less) on
      Geography and Climate in the Fourth Gospel. He makes what looks to me
      like a good case that the author of John knew Palestinian geography
      and its seasons very well: when a certain ford was passable, when the
      court migrated from Jerusalem to Jericho, when the high road through
      Samaria would have been preferable to the more obvious lowland one.

      Does this mean that John, being more cogent about geography than it
      seems Mark always was, knew Palestine, and Mark did not? That might be
      a rash conclusion. But with Temple's data in mind, we can at least say
      that he had done his homework, not only on the calendar, but on the
      ground.

      University of Massachusetts
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 24, 2010
        To: GPG