Re: [Synoptic-L] Re: [GPG] MARK THE ROMAN GOSPEL

  • brooks@asianlan.umass.edu
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 18, 2010
      To: GPG
      Cc: Synoptic
      On: Temple Curtain (Brandon)
      From: Bruce

      DENNIS: What, for example, would be your reaction to the importance he
      [Brandon] gives to the triumph in Rome at which the Temple furnishings
      including the curtain were paraded through the streets? Any Jew seeing
      it, as well as knowing what had happened to Jerusalem, must surely
      have felt that the Temple worship was finished once and for all, as
      symbolized in Mark 15:38.

      BRUCE: I can tell you exactly what a Christian bystander would have
      felt on seeing the Temple curtain paraded through the streets of Rome.
      He would have said to himself: "Look at that: the curtain is intact.
      And that skunk Mark told me long ago that it was rent in twain from
      top to bottom. These people have LIED to me."

      He would then have gone home, thrown his tattered copy of Mark into
      the trash, and signed up for gladiatorial school, so he could kill as
      many Christians as possible.

      [It is of course the rescue of that tattered copy by a more steadfast
      neighbor, cherished since the Palestinian youth of the former owner,
      and with its last leaf worn out and lost from much reading, that made
      it possible for Matthew to undertake a revision of the tradition. With
      what ultimate consequences we all know].

    • Dennis Goffin
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 19, 2010
        Looking in Trocmé's index, he doesn't even list 15:38 and this is true of so many writers on this Gospel, yet I would have thought that the correct elucidation of the symbolism was central to Mark's theology. How can they ignore or funk tackling this point ?
        Dennis

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 19, 2010
          Dennis,

          If I might make a suggestion along Oriental lines: Rather than be
          outraged at one of Trocme's or anybody else's errors or omissions, I
          would say, Blessings on him and on all the others who have gone
          before, for leaving a thread handing here and a cleft unexplored
          there, so that we lesser folk who come afterward still have something
          useful to do, and need not merely twiddle our thumbs, staring vapidly
          at the sky, while we wait for our time on the planet to come to an end.

          Bruce

          [E Bruce Brooks
          Warring States Project
          University of Massachusetts at Amherst]
        • Dennis Goffin
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 19, 2010
            Bruce, You just don't know how much I second that ! At 83, it gives me enormous interest and pleasure to try and disentangle this complicated yarn ( in both senses of the word ) . I was a Pentecostal convert in my teens and when rationality took over
            again in my early twenties, I went off to university to pursue my love of French and other languages, all the while searching for a true history of mankind. My interest in the Bible today is centred on understanding its place in the development of religion, in all its ramifications such as historical, anthropological, neurotheological, etc., from the Paleolithic onwards and the Jesus story has all the ingredients of a first class 'who dunnit', the only problem being that all the footnotes in German are making me consult Langenscheidt far too often for my liking ! It would have been nice to know some Greek too, although the remnants of my Latin don't do me much good.
            Regards,