Re: [Synoptic-L] Early Beliefs

  • Dennis Goffin
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 17, 2010
      I was very interested, Jack, by your e-mail on this subject. Like you, I have long pondered as to whether Jesus thought that he was the Messiah. Desperate situations demand divine remedies and, as you rightly point out, apocalypticism was at a fever pitch in Palestine in the 1st century. Like you, I believe that Zoroastrian beliefs about a coming Saviour had a big impact on Judaism. I think we also have to bear in mind that the Jews were not systematic theologians, nor did they all sing from the same hymn sheet, as witnessed by the DSS listing two Messiahs as you mention. The Book of Enoch is clearly influenced by Zoroastrianism and it was highly regarded, as witness the Episle of Jude. The only problem is that no trace in the DSS has been found of Chapters 37-71 which is the part always quoted, which makes one wonder whether they circulated in Palestine at that time. Like Manson, I am convinced that the Pharisees were so called because they were the Persianizers, since it is Zoroastrian beliefs that distinguish Pharisaism from Sadduceeism. It seems to me possible that the Danielic Enochian Son of Man at some stage became fused with the classic Davidic Messiah figure in apocalyptic beliefs about the eschaton. It is perfectly possible that Jesus at some stage was convinced that that is what he was. The crucial question to my mind is the following. Would his followers have believed, after the crucifixion, that he was the Messiah/Son of Man if he had never given them to believe so before his death? Why the titulus if there was no Messianic claim ? It was the Messianic claim that enabled the hierocracy to get him crucified by the Romans for sedition.
      One thing is certain, this discussion will run and run.
      Best wishes,
      Dennis
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 24, 2010
        To: GPG
        Cc: Synoptic
        On: Mark and John
        From: Bruce

        Thanks to Keith for his additional notes on recasting of previous
        tradition in John. The subject is a large one, with its own special
        interest, and all points are welcome.

        One of the skills needed by the successful churchman is the grace to
        respond politely when presented with a Festschrift which is small,
        undistinguished, and full of internal rancor, one author using his
        space to trash the opinion of another author about the date and
        authenticity of 1 Peter. Such was the crisis which must have
        confronted the dedicatee when he was handed Sherman E Johnson, The Joy
        of Study: Papers on New Testament and Related Subjects Presented to
        Honor Frederick Clifton Grant (Macmillan 1951).

        Fred his my sympathy in that moment.

        Nevertheless, there are some shreds of interest in the thing. One is
        the paper by Sydney Temple (University of Massachusetts, no less) on
        Geography and Climate in the Fourth Gospel. He makes what looks to me
        like a good case that the author of John knew Palestinian geography
        and its seasons very well: when a certain ford was passable, when the
        court migrated from Jerusalem to Jericho, when the high road through
        Samaria would have been preferable to the more obvious lowland one.

        Does this mean that John, being more cogent about geography than it
        seems Mark always was, knew Palestine, and Mark did not? That might be
        a rash conclusion. But with Temple's data in mind, we can at least say
        that he had done his homework, not only on the calendar, but on the
        ground.

        University of Massachusetts