Re: [Synoptic-L] von Soden

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2010
      Undoubtedly having 5-way spaghetti!

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: ebbrooks@...
      To: Synoptic
      Cc: GPG
      Subject: [Synoptic-L] von Soden
      Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 23:45:28 -0500

      To: Synoptic
      Cc: GPG
      About: von Soden
      From: Bruce

      All reference materials seem to agree that Hermann [Freiherr] von
      Soden, the notable Biblical scholar of a century ago, was born in
      Cincinnati, though he had his schooling and his whole career in
      Germany. There is of course a substantial and culturally important
      German community in Cincinnati.

      But what was his mom doing there on 16 August 1852? And how did the
      two of them get back to Germany? Did America (in its Cincinnati form,
      which is not a bad form at all) impinge on the future scholar's years
      of noticing? Or was this merely an infant interlude?

      Mere curiosity, but I would appreciate it if some learned person on
      this list who happens to know the answer would be willing to share
      it.

      Thanks

    • Wieland Willker
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2010
        Interersting.
        I didn't know that and I don't have an answer.
        My guess would be that they were German emigrants. In those times many
        people left Germany because of famines. I suspect that they returned to
        Germany soon.
        But this is just a guess.

        Best wishes
        Wieland
        <><
        --------------------------
        Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        mailto:wie@...
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        Textcritical commentary:
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
      • brooks@asianlan.umass.edu
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2010
          Wieland,

          Good enough suggestion. Still, maybe I am reading too much into the
          term Freiherr, but wouldn't a person of that implied status be
          relatively protected against famine?

          I like the Kirchenlexikon for these questions, but see how enigmatic
          its first lines read:

          SODEN, Hermann Freiherr von (Taufname: Hans Karl Hermann),
          evangelisch-lutherischer Theologe, Pfarrer, Neutestamentler und
          Kirchentheoretiker, * 16.8. 1852 in Cincinnati, + 15.1. 1914 in
          Berlin. - Seit 1881 wirkt von S. als Pfarrer in Dresden, sodann als
          Archidiakonus an St. Jacobi in Chemnitz und ab 1887 als 1. Pfarrer an
          der Jerusalemkirche in Berlin. 1888 wurde von S.s bei der Haager
          Gesellschaft eingereichte Arbeit über »`éAgioV und seine Derivate
          (Motto: Joh 27,19)« preisgekrönt. 1889 wird von S. Privatdozent der
          neutestamentlichen Disziplinen, im September 1893 dann
          außerordentlicher, 1913 schließlich ordentlicher Honorarprofessor an
          der Berliner Theologischen Fakultät.