von Soden

  • ebbrooks@research.umass.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2010
      To: Synoptic
      Cc: GPG
      About: von Soden
      From: Bruce

      All reference materials seem to agree that Hermann [Freiherr] von
      Soden, the notable Biblical scholar of a century ago, was born in
      Cincinnati, though he had his schooling and his whole career in
      Germany. There is of course a substantial and culturally important
      German community in Cincinnati.

      But what was his mom doing there on 16 August 1852? And how did the
      two of them get back to Germany? Did America (in its Cincinnati form,
      which is not a bad form at all) impinge on the future scholar's years
      of noticing? Or was this merely an infant interlude?

      Mere curiosity, but I would appreciate it if some learned person on
      this list who happens to know the answer would be willing to share it.

      Thanks

    • Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2010
        Undoubtedly having 5-way spaghetti!

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2010
          Interersting.
          I didn't know that and I don't have an answer.
          My guess would be that they were German emigrants. In those times many
          people left Germany because of famines. I suspect that they returned to
          Germany soon.
          But this is just a guess.

          Best wishes
          Wieland
          <><
          --------------------------
          Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
          mailto:wie@...
          http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
          Textcritical commentary:
          http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/
        • brooks@asianlan.umass.edu
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2010
            Wieland,

            Good enough suggestion. Still, maybe I am reading too much into the
            term Freiherr, but wouldn't a person of that implied status be
            relatively protected against famine?

            I like the Kirchenlexikon for these questions, but see how enigmatic
            its first lines read:

            SODEN, Hermann Freiherr von (Taufname: Hans Karl Hermann),
            evangelisch-lutherischer Theologe, Pfarrer, Neutestamentler und
            Kirchentheoretiker, * 16.8. 1852 in Cincinnati, + 15.1. 1914 in
            Berlin. - Seit 1881 wirkt von S. als Pfarrer in Dresden, sodann als
            Archidiakonus an St. Jacobi in Chemnitz und ab 1887 als 1. Pfarrer an
            der Jerusalemkirche in Berlin. 1888 wurde von S.s bei der Haager
            Gesellschaft eingereichte Arbeit über »`éAgioV und seine Derivate
            (Motto: Joh 27,19)« preisgekrönt. 1889 wird von S. Privatdozent der
            neutestamentlichen Disziplinen, im September 1893 dann
            außerordentlicher, 1913 schließlich ordentlicher Honorarprofessor an
            der Berliner Theologischen Fakultät.