Re: [Synoptic-L] Mark and Pauline Teaching

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
      Chuck Jones wrote:

      > Rick, If you think you'd be interested in exposing yourself to
      > another view, again, I'd recommend Mack's _Who Wrote the New
      > Testament?_.

      A bit too edgy for my taste and tainted by some question begging
      assumptions about Paul and his theology. Better I think is the
      consideration of the question that can now be found in the Introduction
      of Joel Marcus' Anchor Commentary on Mark.

      Yours,

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
        Jeffery-

        Could you be a little more explicit about your opinion of Mack:

        "A bit too edgy for my taste...."

        Thanks,

        Rick Hubbard
        Humble Maine Woodsman

        > Rick, If you think you'd be interested in exposing yourself to
        > another view, again, I'd recommend Mack's _Who Wrote the New
        > Testament?_.

        and tainted by some question begging
        assumptions about Paul and his theology. Better I think is the
        consideration of the question that can now be found in the Introduction
        of Joel Marcus' Anchor Commentary on Mark.

        Yours,

        Jeffrey

        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Chicago, Illinois
        e-mail jgibson000@...

        Synoptic-L homepage: http://NTGateway.com/synoptic-l
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Jeffrey B. Gibson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
          Rick Hubbard wrote:
           Jeffery-

          Could you be a little more explicit about your opinion of Mack:

          "A bit too edgy for my taste...."

          Claremont skepticism run wild -- or at least that was my impression when I looked at it years ago.

          Jeffrey

          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

        • Stephen C. Carlson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
            At 03:07 PM 7/8/2005 -0500, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
            >Chuck Jones wrote:
            >> Rick, If you think you'd be interested in exposing yourself to
            >> another view, again, I'd recommend Mack's _Who Wrote the New
            >> Testament?_.
            >
            >A bit too edgy for my taste and tainted by some question begging
            >assumptions about Paul and his theology. Better I think is the
            >consideration of the question that can now be found in the Introduction
            >of Joel Marcus' Anchor Commentary on Mark.

            See also Joel Marcus, "Mark--Interpreter of Paul," NTS 46 (2000): 473-487.
            Here's the abstract:

            |Claiming that Mark is a Paulinist does not require that he agree with
            |Paul about everything, and plausible reasons can be advanced for a later
            |Paulinist wanting to write the story of the earthly Jesus. Martin Werner's
            |assertion that the agreements between Mark and Paul reflect general early
            |Christian viewpoints is not valid with regard to the theology of the cross,
            |which was a controversial Pauline emphasis and a stress that the later
            |Gospels attenuated in editing Mark. Contrary to Werner, Mark and Paul
            |agree in ascribing Jesus' death to a combination of human and demonic
            |opponents.

            See also M. D. Goulder, "A Pauline in a Jacobite Church" in THE FOUR GOSPELS:
            1992 (Van Segbroeck et al., eds.; BETL 100; Leuven: University Press, 1992):
            2:859-75.

            Stephen Carlson
            --
            Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...