Re: [Synoptic-L] texts for Introductory NT classes

  • Coleman A. Baker
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 23, 2010
      Dennis Duling, The New Testament: History, Literature, and Social Context. 4th ed. Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth. 2003.

      Coleman A. Baker
      PhD Candidate
      Brite Divinity School, TCU
      www.colemanabaker.com
      817-932-0859

      On Feb 23, 2010, at 1:28 PM, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

      > I'd be interested to hear from List Members who teach Into to the New
      > Testament what you have selected as your required text book(s).
      >
      > I'm looking for alternatives to Ehrman and Stephen Harris for a 1
      > semester course.
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Jeffrey
      >
      > --
      > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      > Chicago, Illinois
      > e-mail jgibson000@...

    • Jeff Peterson
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 23, 2010
        I've also used Johnson more often than anything else, but the last few years
        I've been using David deSilva, which is geared for seminary students and
        does a better job than anything else I've seen of introducing students from
        a conservative evangelical background to critical NT study. I usually
        supplement the intro with some recent important book on the NT; this time
        around it's Richard Bauckham's *Jesus and the God of Israel*.

        Jeff Peterson
        Austin Graduate School of Theology
        Austin, TX

        On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:34 PM, jcbaker74 <colemanabaker@...> wrote:

        > I tried to send this with my email client, but it does not seem to have
        > worked. My apologies to anyone who receives this twice.
        > I use Dennis Duling, The New Testament: History, Literature, and Social
        > Context. 4th ed. Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth. 2003. A bit of a preview
        > can been found on Google books
        > (http://books.google.com/books?id=EsJqPgAACAAJ&dq=The+New+Testament:+His\
        > tory,+Literature,+and+Social+Context&ei=OUmES-X2G4SMNoCZlOcP&client=safa\
        > ri&cd=1<http://books.google.com/books?id=EsJqPgAACAAJ&dq=The+New+Testament:+History,+Literature,+and+Social+Context&ei=OUmES-X2G4SMNoCZlOcP&client=safari&cd=1>
        > <http://books.google.com/books?id=EsJqPgAACAAJ&dq=The+New+Testament:+His\
        > tory,+Literature,+and+Social+Context&ei=OUmES-X2G4SMNoCZlOcP&client=safa\
        > ri&cd=1<http://books.google.com/books?id=EsJqPgAACAAJ&dq=The+New+Testament:+History,+Literature,+and+Social+Context&ei=OUmES-X2G4SMNoCZlOcP&client=safari&cd=1>>
        > )
        > I have also used LT Johnson's Intro, which does a nice job of
        > emphasizing all things literary. Google books provides much more detail
        > about this one than Duling's
        > (http://books.google.com/books?id=gMyoix4eabsC&printsec=frontcover&clien\
        > t=safari&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=fal<http://books.google.com/books?id=gMyoix4eabsC&printsec=frontcover&client=safari&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=fal>
        > <http://books.google.com/books?id=gMyoix4eabsC&printsec=frontcover&clien\
        > t=safari&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false<http://books.google.com/books?id=gMyoix4eabsC&printsec=frontcover&client=safari&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false>>
        > Coleman
        > Baker
        > --- In Synoptic@yahoogroups.com <Synoptic%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jeffrey B.
        > Gibson" <jgibson000@...>
        > wrote:
        >

        > > I'd be interested to hear from List Members who teach Into to the New
        > > Testament what you have selected as your required text book(s).
        > >
        > > I'm looking for alternatives to Ehrman and Stephen Harris for a 1
        > > semester course.
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance.
        > >
        > > Jeffrey
        > >
        > > --
        > > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        > > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        > > Chicago, Illinois
        > > e-mail jgibson000@...

      • Dr. Ian E. Rock
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 23, 2010
          We compare and contrast Raymond Brown An Introduction to the New Testament and David DeSilva, An Introduction to the New Testament:
          Contexts, Methods and Ministry Formation but our purpose is training for sacred ministry and we do follow on with a thematic approach at higher levels.
          Ian

          The Rev'd Dr. Ian E. Rock
          Principal
          Codrington College
          St. John BB20007
          Barbados, West Indies

          Tel:- +246 416 8050

          Fax:- +246 423 1592
          email:- ian.rock@...

          I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith; henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give to me on that day.

          ________________________________
          I'd be interested to hear from List Members who teach Into to the New
          Testament what you have selected as your required text book(s).

          I'm looking for alternatives to Ehrman and Stephen Harris for a 1
          semester course.

          Thanks in advance.

          Jeffrey

          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
          Chicago, Illinois
          e-mail jgibson000@comcast. net

        • Jeffrey B. Gibson
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 23, 2010
            Dr. Ian E. Rock wrote:
            > We compare and contrast Raymond Brown An Introduction to the New Testament and David DeSilva, An Introduction to the New Testament:
            > Contexts, Methods and Ministry Formation but our purpose is training for sacred ministry and we do follow on with a thematic approach at higher levels.
            > Ian

            My class will consist of community college students who have little to
            no previous background in NT studies.

            Jeffrey

            --
            Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
            1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 24, 2010
              Jeffrey,

              Luke Timothy Johnson's The New Testament: A Very Short Introduction in the Oxford VSI series is supposed to come out soon (Amazon had a February 10 release date). It's brief (160 pp) and cheap (11.95 at full price) but might not be dumbed down so much as to be useless. We use Sanders' book on Paul in the same series in the introductory Paul course. You might want to take a look at it.

              Best wishes,

              Ken

              Ken Olson, ABD, NT, Duke University

              My class will consist of community college students who have little to

              no previous background in NT studies.

              Jeffrey

              Recent Activity:

              New Members
              2

              Visit Your Group
              Start a New Topic

              Synoptic-L homepage: http://NTGateway.com/synoptic-l

              Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest � Unsubscribe � Terms of Use

              .