OT texts for Introductory NT classes

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 23 11:28 AM
      I'd be interested to hear from List Members who teach Into to the New
      Testament what you have selected as your required text book(s).

      I'm looking for alternatives to Ehrman and Stephen Harris for a 1
      semester course.

      Thanks in advance.

      Jeffrey

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

    • Coleman A. Baker
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 23 1:18 PM
        Dennis Duling, The New Testament: History, Literature, and Social Context. 4th ed. Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth. 2003.

        Coleman A. Baker
        PhD Candidate
        Brite Divinity School, TCU
        www.colemanabaker.com
        817-932-0859

        On Feb 23, 2010, at 1:28 PM, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

        > I'd be interested to hear from List Members who teach Into to the New
        > Testament what you have selected as your required text book(s).
        >
        > I'm looking for alternatives to Ehrman and Stephen Harris for a 1
        > semester course.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Jeffrey
        >
        > --
        > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        > Chicago, Illinois
        > e-mail jgibson000@...

      • jcbaker74
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 23 1:34 PM
          I tried to send this with my email client, but it does not seem to have
          worked. My apologies to anyone who receives this twice.
          I use Dennis Duling, The New Testament: History, Literature, and Social
          Context. 4th ed. Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth. 2003. A bit of a preview
          can been found on Google books
          (http://books.google.com/books?id=EsJqPgAACAAJ&dq=The+New+Testament:+His\
          tory,+Literature,+and+Social+Context&ei=OUmES-X2G4SMNoCZlOcP&client=safa\
          ri&cd=1
          <http://books.google.com/books?id=EsJqPgAACAAJ&dq=The+New+Testament:+His\
          tory,+Literature,+and+Social+Context&ei=OUmES-X2G4SMNoCZlOcP&client=safa\
          ri&cd=1> )
          I have also used LT Johnson's Intro, which does a nice job of
          emphasizing all things literary. Google books provides much more detail
          about this one than Duling's
          (http://books.google.com/books?id=gMyoix4eabsC&printsec=frontcover&clien\
          t=safari&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=fal
          <http://books.google.com/books?id=gMyoix4eabsC&printsec=frontcover&clien\
          t=safari&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false> Coleman
          Baker
          --- In Synoptic@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000@...>
          wrote:

          > I'd be interested to hear from List Members who teach Into to the New
          > Testament what you have selected as your required text book(s).
          >
          > I'm looking for alternatives to Ehrman and Stephen Harris for a 1
          > semester course.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          >
          > Jeffrey
          >
          > --
          > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
          > Chicago, Illinois
          > e-mail jgibson000@...

        • Jeff Peterson
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 23 1:54 PM
            I've also used Johnson more often than anything else, but the last few years
            I've been using David deSilva, which is geared for seminary students and
            does a better job than anything else I've seen of introducing students from
            a conservative evangelical background to critical NT study. I usually
            supplement the intro with some recent important book on the NT; this time
            around it's Richard Bauckham's *Jesus and the God of Israel*.

            Jeff Peterson
            Austin Graduate School of Theology
            Austin, TX

            On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:34 PM, jcbaker74 <colemanabaker@...> wrote:

            > I tried to send this with my email client, but it does not seem to have
            > worked. My apologies to anyone who receives this twice.
            > I use Dennis Duling, The New Testament: History, Literature, and Social
            > Context. 4th ed. Belmont: Thomson/Wadsworth. 2003. A bit of a preview
            > can been found on Google books
            > (http://books.google.com/books?id=EsJqPgAACAAJ&dq=The+New+Testament:+His\
            > tory,+Literature,+and+Social+Context&ei=OUmES-X2G4SMNoCZlOcP&client=safa\
            > ri&cd=1<http://books.google.com/books?id=EsJqPgAACAAJ&dq=The+New+Testament:+History,+Literature,+and+Social+Context&ei=OUmES-X2G4SMNoCZlOcP&client=safari&cd=1>
            > <http://books.google.com/books?id=EsJqPgAACAAJ&dq=The+New+Testament:+His\
            > tory,+Literature,+and+Social+Context&ei=OUmES-X2G4SMNoCZlOcP&client=safa\
            > ri&cd=1<http://books.google.com/books?id=EsJqPgAACAAJ&dq=The+New+Testament:+History,+Literature,+and+Social+Context&ei=OUmES-X2G4SMNoCZlOcP&client=safari&cd=1>>
            > )
            > I have also used LT Johnson's Intro, which does a nice job of
            > emphasizing all things literary. Google books provides much more detail
            > about this one than Duling's
            > (http://books.google.com/books?id=gMyoix4eabsC&printsec=frontcover&clien\
            > t=safari&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=fal<http://books.google.com/books?id=gMyoix4eabsC&printsec=frontcover&client=safari&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=fal>
            > <http://books.google.com/books?id=gMyoix4eabsC&printsec=frontcover&clien\
            > t=safari&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false<http://books.google.com/books?id=gMyoix4eabsC&printsec=frontcover&client=safari&source=gbs_v2_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false>>
            > Coleman
            > Baker
            > --- In Synoptic@yahoogroups.com <Synoptic%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jeffrey B.
            > Gibson" <jgibson000@...>
            > wrote:
            >

            > > I'd be interested to hear from List Members who teach Into to the New
            > > Testament what you have selected as your required text book(s).
            > >
            > > I'm looking for alternatives to Ehrman and Stephen Harris for a 1
            > > semester course.
            > >
            > > Thanks in advance.
            > >
            > > Jeffrey
            > >
            > > --
            > > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
            > > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
            > > Chicago, Illinois
            > > e-mail jgibson000@...

          • Dr. Ian E. Rock
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 23 2:49 PM
              We compare and contrast Raymond Brown An Introduction to the New Testament and David DeSilva, An Introduction to the New Testament:
              Contexts, Methods and Ministry Formation but our purpose is training for sacred ministry and we do follow on with a thematic approach at higher levels.
              Ian

              The Rev'd Dr. Ian E. Rock
              Principal
              Codrington College
              St. John BB20007
              Barbados, West Indies

              Tel:- +246 416 8050

              Fax:- +246 423 1592
              email:- ian.rock@...

              I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith; henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give to me on that day.

              ________________________________
              I'd be interested to hear from List Members who teach Into to the New
              Testament what you have selected as your required text book(s).

              I'm looking for alternatives to Ehrman and Stephen Harris for a 1
              semester course.

              Thanks in advance.

              Jeffrey

              --
              Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
              1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
              Chicago, Illinois
              e-mail jgibson000@comcast. net

            • Jeffrey B. Gibson
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 23 7:03 PM
                Dr. Ian E. Rock wrote:
                > We compare and contrast Raymond Brown An Introduction to the New Testament and David DeSilva, An Introduction to the New Testament:
                > Contexts, Methods and Ministry Formation but our purpose is training for sacred ministry and we do follow on with a thematic approach at higher levels.
                > Ian

                My class will consist of community college students who have little to
                no previous background in NT studies.

                Jeffrey

                --
                Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
                1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 24 3:02 AM
                  Jeffrey,

                  Luke Timothy Johnson's The New Testament: A Very Short Introduction in the Oxford VSI series is supposed to come out soon (Amazon had a February 10 release date). It's brief (160 pp) and cheap (11.95 at full price) but might not be dumbed down so much as to be useless. We use Sanders' book on Paul in the same series in the introductory Paul course. You might want to take a look at it.

                  Best wishes,

                  Ken

                  Ken Olson, ABD, NT, Duke University

                  My class will consist of community college students who have little to

                  no previous background in NT studies.

                  Jeffrey

                  Recent Activity:

                  New Members
                  2

                  Visit Your Group
                  Start a New Topic

                  Synoptic-L homepage: http://NTGateway.com/synoptic-l

                  Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest � Unsubscribe � Terms of Use

                  .